Dunstan Chestnuts & Tree Tubes

Legnip

I just received 5lbs of Dunstan Chestnut in the mail. They are in the fridge right now for their cold stratification. I'm hoping to plant them with success this spring. Does anyone have any experience with Planting Nuts with Tree Tubes? I'm hoping to plant at least 60 with the tubes.

BTW - Forget the deer, these things taste great. I never had them before and hopefully in 10 years I'll have more nuts than I know what to do with.

plinker22

That is exciting. I wonder if you should plant them in containers first, then transplant the tiny "tree" after a year or so of controlled growth?

Surely there is info/research on the best way to successfully accomplish your goal.

How much for the 5lb$ of nut$?

Legnip

The XL nuts were $30/5lbs, plus $12 for shipping. The tree tubes are the expensive part. I haven't counted the nuts, but it should be 150-200 nuts. I ordered the XL. They are supposed to have the most growth potential. The chestnut grows pretty quick. So, if I don't handle them right the roots will stunt the tree. I may do that with some of them.

chimneyman

I've got about 150 in the refridge also just waiting for spring. I'm thinking about putting mine in 1 gallon containers with compost and burying them into a raised bed for a year or so But would love to hear some expert advice on here

Legnip

I ordered them from Chestnut Ridge of Pipe County. Their farm was planted from Dunstan seedlings. All the nuts that they sell are from them. They are out of the seeds they select and sell for planting, but you can still order the XL nuts. This is what I did.

Chestnutridgeofpikecounty.com
[email protected]

Legnip

I must have gotten some of the last XL nuts. They appear to be out now. They have Large, smalls, & a 5lb gift basket left.

TNlandowner

Last year, I grew 35 Dunstan Chestnut trees using Rootmaker starter trays and 3 gal rootmaker pots. Last week, after 1-year potted start, I planted them around my farm. The root balls were awesome! This is certainly a valid way to get these trees off to a great start. I kept a journal of the progress if you're interested.

This year, I'm trying a new technique. I placed 2" of small stones in a 5 gallon bucket. Next, I cut vented tree tubes into three equal sections. I placed the tubes into the bucket and filled them with Fafard 52 mix. After keeping the seed in the fridge for two months, I placed them in the tubes and lightly watered. I've had great germination so far.
My goal is to create air pruned roots similar to the RM method. However, I didn't want to have to transplant to the 3 gallon containers.

Ballerski

After starting from seed...how soon did you move the trees outside? Mine are about 4 weeks old and about 8-12" tall.
TNlandowner said:
Last year, I grew 35 Dunstan Chestnut trees using Rootmaker starter trays and 3 gal rootmaker pots. Last week, after 1-year potted start, I planted them around my farm. The root balls were awesome! This is certainly a valid way to get these trees off to a great start. I kept a journal of the progress if you're interested.

This year, I'm trying a new technique. I placed 2" of small stones in a 5 gallon bucket. Next, I cut vented tree tubes into three equal sections. I placed the tubes into the bucket and filled them with Fafard 52 mix. After keeping the seed in the fridge for two months, I placed them in the tubes and lightly watered. I've had great germination so far.
My goal is to create air pruned roots similar to the RM method. However, I didn't want to have to transplant to the 3 gallon containers.

TNlandowner

I would keep them indoors until after the last chance of frost.

When I moved mine outdoors, I kept them under a lean-to through the first summer. They had morning sun, but shade in the afternoon. They grew nearly 4' tall. I then moved them into my garage over the winter. Planted them in the ground a few weeks ago. (Approximately 1 year old seedlings).

my email is [email protected]

I'm happy to send my journal along for anyone wanting to read a summary of my efforts.

Ballerski

Thanks. These trees are growing like weeds. Probably put 4" of growth on since Monday. I plan on transfering them to a 3 gallon container this weekend.

Legnip

Well the tree tubes worked. I've got +/- 14 chestnut trees growing now. I had 2 failures. One the tube fell over and the other had the tube up off the ground. The tallest is about mid-thigh, but most are around the knee. I can't wait for them to poke out the top.

Latest posts