Duck mount question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I have a couple ducks that are still in my freezer from last year.
One in particular I would really like to get mounted.
For different reasons I never felt I had the money to get them mounted last year.

My son killed a nice Pintail with a double sprig on it and I would really like to get it mounted for him.
Is it a lost cause?

I cleaned the bird best I could and wrapped the bill in a paper towel and put the bird in a ziploc bag in the freezer.
It has been there almost a full year.

Thanks.

Rjratliff1975

I'm not sure if ducks are different than mammals as far as mounts go? I know my brother once killed a fox squirrel, he put it in a ziploc bag and kept it in his deep freezer for about a year before taking it to the taxidermist. The taxidermist kept it about another year before mounting it. It turned out great. That was years ago and it still looks great.

Buzzard Breath

I just text a buddy of mine who's a duck taxidermist in Mississippi. He says they're probably OK. Next time don't wrap them in paper towels, just put them in a ziplock and suck all the air out. Then put them in a Walmart bag in the freezer.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Just talked to a guy i am friends with on Facebook and he says it should be fine.
Gonna take him the pintail a redhead and widgeon. Lol

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

JArender

It will be fine. Birds are like fish. You clean them and flesh them and wash them. If they are freezer burnt they rehydrate during the wash soak. Mammals have to be treated a little different but don't ever let a taxidermist tell you an animal has been froze to long.

In future I'd recommend wiping any blood off and tucking head under wings then double bag it getting as much air out as possible from the first

Latest posts