Duck boats

762hunter

I've got a 14 foot that I'm getting together and going to fix up a blind and such for it.

What all suggestions for those that have them and those that have built something of the sorts.

What should I look at keeping on the boat and what else should I know?

Thanks for the advice!

Grizzly Johnson

Well depending on your decoy spread, equipment carried, hunters hunting, and motor..... you may want a bigger boat, especially if your building a blind on top.

From my experience, a wider bottom is better. Either build a low profile blind that is head high while sitting in the boat, or find a way to drive it while standing up...... so as to navigate safely.

I have some pics somewhere where I built a blind on my first little 14' boat. For what it was, it turned out good. I didn't have a motor on it, so decoys, gear, and such was hauled in it while towing it to the spot with my brothers hunting boat.

I would invest in one of the Avery Marsh Foot, Push Pole, & paddle attachment..... it will come in handy. I used a pvc frame (but if I did it again, I would use conduit). I wrapped the frame in camo fabric, then sprayed it with water repellent solution. Then draped a camo net over the whole thing to tuck small pieces of brush into. I had some brackets (that they stopped producing that also served that purpose) that I could bend in the direction needed and then stick small limbs into to break up the rectangle shape of the blind.

Mount you some lights on the corners (front & back) for navigation close to the bank or when in swamps..... these also come in handy while setting decoy spreads in total darkness..... you will need a good deep cycle battery with a maintainer mounted onboard so that after using the battery, you can just plug it in and it will keep your battery warm and constantly charged.

You will need some tie-down eyes along the rail. I used eye-bolts with big flat washers on each side of the boat (top rail if made right) and an acorn nut facing the outside of the boat..... you may need to put a regular nut on the inside to tighten against if the eye-bolt shank is too long (or you can cut them off some).

This is just some of my own experiences..... if I can find them, I will post pics of my rig before I had to let it go.....

Also, carry a small kitchen size fire extinguisher..... never know.

Grizzly Johnson

Here are some pics (sorry about quality, had to make do with old pics)..... I could haul 1 doz Big Foot goose decoys, 1 dozen goose floaters, 1 doz goose shells, 2 nets to cover boat (while hunting & traveling down the road), an Avery Finisher Blind, a chair, and my self & hunting gear..... pushing it all with a 23hp homemade mud motor.....and custom hand sprayed camo paint job

some pics with gear, showing boat details, & with the blind
installed:

0706101953.jpg

IMG_0252.jpg

IMG_0254.jpg

0706101953a.jpg

0706101954.jpg

Also something I did, cut the top out of the seats (leave an edge for strength, about 2" all around) to make storage compartments..... put a piece of plywood back over them with hinges and a latch to secure new tops. Cut rectangles of blue foam board and lay between floor ribs, then cover with 1/4" plywood to cut down on noise and add flotation back from when I removed it from inside the seat areas...... anchor down with self tapping screws.... of proper length.

Grizzly Johnson

Actually, I spun the motor sideways and it would fit in the garage..... I never store my stuff in the elements..... it lasts longer that way. :grin:

UpperTully

Griz, what are those timbers for under your boat.

I like the way you have the rear bench set up. Theres alot of storage space in those bench seats. Im thinking about cutting mine out for storage space.

Grizzly Johnson

UpperTully said:
Griz, what are those timbers for under your boat.

Well that was some late night engineering to solve a winter time problem.....

You see in the fall when they lower Tims Ford Lake the water goes down below the edge of the boat ramps. Well I put those on there so I could back off the end of the ramp and not drag my trailer frame. I could back that trailer about half way off the end if I needed to..... Usually just far enough off to launch the boat. Then when I pulled out, the timbers were low enough to slide the trailer tires up onto the ramp rather than having to "hop" the wheels back onto the edge of the ramp.

Seen a fellow bend an axle and pop a tire doing that one time.... Best thing was, it worked exactly as I had wanted... :grin:

I cut the seat and removed the foam block. I put a pwc battery inside to start the mud motor, installed my switches for all my electric equipment and lights, a fuse panel for all the switches, and a battery maintainer with outlet to keep the battery charged when not in use..... I put a sheet of plywood inside the seat area for a solid bottom, then sealed it all up good. That way if the boat took on water or rain filled up the back end, nothing inside the seat would get wet.