Duck Bands

tickweed

Just wondering, do you guys have a lot of bands? I mean that you took yourself. Seems like they are really hard to come by. I've taken several, but still am looking for that Jack Miner. Maybe one day!

Spoonbillmallard

Duck bands are really hard to come by for the average duck hunter. If you are in one of the good clubs that take a 1000 birds or so a year then you will see a couple a year maybe. I personally don't have any duck bands. I have only seen 1 killed in my 4 years of hunting. I do have a goose band though. Seems I don't have the luck to kill banded ducks ha ha....but maybe one day.

m_allison71

2-Step Enabled
I've got two bands from wood duck and one band from a goose. Was also a part in the killing of a banded mallard. Not bad for five years of duck hunting.

Chaneylake

tickweed said:
Just wondering, do you guys have a lot of bands? I mean that you took yourself. Seems like they are really hard to come by. I've taken several, but still am looking for that Jack Miner. Maybe one day!

I have the following

Jack Miner
2 Wood Ducks
grey duck
Black Mallard
about 12 Mallard
pigdeon[killed on courtsquare Brownsville]
dove
Turkey[from original stocking in Haywood Co about 1980 release]
2 Goose bands
hawk band [some dude gave it to me]

tickweed

Chaneylake, when and where did you get your Miner? I have hunted hard for about 35 years, and belong to a club in W. Tn. Our blind has taken Three miners over the years, two in the past five yrs, but not by me. I've been lucky, however I do get to hunt every day. I have got about 50,which include a Black mallard, several Woodies, many mallards, two Canadas, two greater Snows, a bunch of lesser Snows, several Rosses, one turkey band from Shelby Forest. I hunt Arkansas after the season closes. I have taken myself a $100 reward on a mallard, a $50.00,and a $30.00 on lesser Snows, and a $50.00 on a Rosse goose, and was in on another $100 mallard that a buddy wanted. Funny, my buddy wants a money band really badly, and cant get one for anything, yet I'm blessed with them, but cant get a Miner. As for Neck bands, I have Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, one Orange from a Canada, and My Favorite is a small white neck band from a Rosse that even had white letters. Believe it or not, I saw that White collar on him as he floated in with a group of about twenty others. Thats having them in your face! I guess thats the way it goes. Already workin on a new floater. Cant wait!

Chaneylake

got the Miner in Haywood County[hatchie river bottom] just south of Brownsville January 1999, I was hunting by myself during the mid day, a group of 4-6 mallards came into the decoys, I was one short of the limit, I picked the easiest kill shot on a greenhead and he fell into some deep water, I was making a decision as to if I could pick up the duck without using the boat, as the greenhead made the last dying kick, I could hear the band rattlin on his let, what a day, a fine Hatchie Bottom
Greenhead with a Minor band, the verse on the band says "Have Faith In God"

tickweed

Man, thats great. I have a field that I've had for years in Hatchie, just north of 100 hwy. We killed a decent number of ducks back in the late 90's, but it's really went away lately. A friend took a Miner in the Armour field also back in the late 90's which is also in Hatchie. I sat in that blind many, many day's after everyone else went home, just waiting on a Miner, but it never happened. Don't know why, but I really feel like one day it will happen.

762hunter

in 6 years 1 band for me.

It was my first year duck hunting and I was out to retrieve a woody we had shot out of the blind.

As I was wading back I saw a single flying straight towards the blind where my buddies were talking and not paying attention.

The duck got almost to the hole and turn headed towards me.

I had already dropped the woody and had my shotgun ready.

I raised up, and with one shot folded it up behind me.

the blind got all excited and they were saying it was a pintail.

being new I was like OK it looks to me like a duck!

As I picked it up I noticed it had a band.

they all still hate me for that!

the 2 brothers I hunt with have been after ducks since they were 12. They have since got 1 band a piece.

they still hate the beginners luck though.

rukiddin

3 geese, federal bands but I don't really count'em cause they were resident birds
2 mallards (one hen, one drake)
Several SCWA bands (South Carolina waterfowl Association). For some reason the swamps we hunted in NC must have been on a mini-flyway for those SC mallards. Can't tell their release birds when there dropping into the timber.

Grizzly Johnson

I got a band on my very first ever wood duck hunt.... it was awesome.

I got one more off another wood duck hunt several years later.

I have 13 Canada Goose bands, all from the early season.

I have yet to take a duck or goose band during the regular winter duck season....

My ultimate treasure would be a Jack Miner band....

Guy I hunt with got one a couple of years ago hunting Woods Res. The year before that he got a banded mallard that was banded in the North West Terr. almost to the Beaufort Sea (I can't remember the town).

ladyduckkiller

One band second season of hunting......I wear it on my sterling silver flat necklace....wearing it right now......Have several guys that asked me if my boyfriend killed it....ummmmmm....NO!.....it was my shot and a dang good shot....lol

whistlinwingman

rukiddin? said:
3 geese, federal bands but I don't really count'em cause they were resident birds
2 mallards (one hen, one drake)
Several SCWA bands (South Carolina waterfowl Association). For some reason the swamps we hunted in NC must have been on a mini-flyway for those SC mallards. Can't tell their release birds when there dropping into the timber.

I got a buddy that's got 5 or 6 SCWA bands. All of them have come from the same general area in East TN.

A

Anonymous

I been duck hunting for 8 years now. Ive taken 5 goose bands 1 neck banded goose which didn't have any leg bands like everyone says they do and i almost blew the band in half.. 1 banded mallard drake that the band is so worn down you can only make out the last number and half of the number before it. I wish there was a way to call that one in. I cant imagine how old he his or where he's from. 1 jack miner band I took this fall off the cumberland on a drake mallard in the same hole my friend got a miner band out off 3 years before. Its are honey hole..can go to work and leave an hour early and still have time to limit out....ALL MY DUCK HUNTING FRIENDS HATE ME DURING SEASON....

urdubob

In 13 years:
3) canada
1) snow
2) white wing doves (in mexico)
1) morning dove
1) blue wing teal

urdubob

tickweed

mrk80 said:
I been duck hunting for 8 years now. Ive taken 5 goose bands 1 neck banded goose which didn't have any leg bands like everyone says they do and i almost blew the band in half..
According to the Bird Band Lab, in Laurel Maryland, if a Goose is wearing a neck collar, it also at one time had a leg band. I took a yellow collared lesser Snow in Ark.,two years ago, and he had lost his leg band, and the last lesser snow I took this year in Ark., had a red collar, but had lost his leg band also. I reported both, and got the paperwork with the lost leg band numbers. As for the worn band, they do a process called etching,and many times can see the imprint . If you call them they may can help on both birds. Good luck on the upcoming season.

A

Anonymous

thanks tick i heard that to pull the numbers off the faded band would ruin it thow and it is my favorite just because he made it so long and he came in feet down to my spread and calling. Iam no champion caller by any stretch but it makes me feel good to have pulled him in like i did and would hate to loose my little trophy.....