Dry Field Hunting

Buckhunter10

I have access to a field right off the TN river across from one of the refuges. It has an old pit in it but it is a dry field. Does anyone know of any success dry field hunting over that way for ducks? I figured I could get some geese in there on occasion. Any input would be great!

Bullfrog

Lots of decoys, in my experience. Robos are about a must in nearly all dry field situations, but I'd be sure to have them wired to the pit for easy on/off for when the geese are flying. I'd be sure the field is in corn or at least winter wheat.

Buckhunter10

Ok, I believe the field is in corn and has two small ponds to the rear of the pit. How many decoys are you thinking? I believe I have access to 200 full body canadas already

Bullfrog

That's a good start..and fullbody's will definitely help make a difference. It's hard to say how many you need total. I'd add as many shells on stakes as I could..for motion. We just picked up over 1200 off a place that adjoins the refuge, but that doesn't mean every place will need that many. I'd personally go no less than 5 to 600. Does your field have a tree line seperating it and the water? Having ducks actually fly over your place is the main thing, or all the decoys that money can buy won't matter.

Buckhunter10

No they ponds are about 40 yards from the pit at the most with field all around it. I have not hunted the area before but I assumed being that close just south of the refuge should be a pretty good area

Latest posts