Drumming deaf

TnKen

2-Step Enabled
I think I might be drumming deaf. I've turkey hunted for over 30 years and killed several, and have never heard one drum. I can hear them spit, but not drum. I've even watched videos where they are supposed to be drumming and hear nothing. I guess it's possible I cant hear that tone?? I do have high frequency hearing loss.

Wahoo98

I definitely can't hear it on the videos. I read somewhere that if you don't have good speakers hooked up to your computer you won't be able to hear drumming on videos.

30-06 type of guy

I had to hook up some headphones to hear it for the first time. Occasionally I can hear it without headphones now that I know what it is. Sunday of opening weekend was my first time hearing it in person. I didn't hear it until he was about 30 yards.

megalomaniac

It's an extremely low frequency sound. Lots of folks can't hear it, either from hearing loss, or just congenital. Lots of others don't know what to listen for.

My hearing has gone downhill over the years. At this point, I can hear the 'spit' at around 60, sometimes 70y, but can't hear drumming any longer unless it's within 30 or so.

Also, some birds will strut without spitting and drumming.

AT Hiker

If you haven't had the chance to randomly be walking through the woods and hear one drumming, just out of sight, its something to experience. At first your like "was that one drumming?", then you scramble around trying to figure it out and if luck is on your side you will see the tips of tail fan before he sees you.
Myself and a buddy got to experience it Sunday, I have had it happen a couple times over my time but this was his first, I think.

Displaced_Vol

Only time i know for sure I heard it is when I visibly watched one go into strut at about 30 yards in an open field. Heard the spit pretty good & almost "felt" the drum as much as I heard it. Almost like static background noise to me. I don't know, I've never heard it on video either. I am hopeful I just need to get better at identifying it but I am afraid I may be one that just can't hear it.

woodsman04

It's very low frequency, sounds like the bass of an expensive car speaker system. It can be easy to get them confused if your near a road.

Sometimes I can feel the drumming, it's hard to describe.

Sometimes they drum, sometimes not. Sometimes they spit, sometimes not. And they don't always do it together.

Watch turkeys, and when one is strutting hard with hens pay attention. He will sometimes take a few quick steps then suddenly stop, that's usually when you hear the spit, although not always. Also watch for his feathers vibrating. That's the drumming part.

woodsman04

Also if you know what to listen for you can hear their wings dragging the ground.

Some people just aren't blessed with good hearing, and I hate that for them. But a lot of people just don't know what or how to listen for them. It comes with lots of experience and you have to focus. Turn your entire body into an ear.

Sometimes they don't gobble in the tree. Sometimes you just hear them drumming and/or spitting.

I get so aggravated when someone is with me and we are listening and they are playing on the phone, scratching where it itches, moving and rustling around. When I'm with someone I usually distance myself self several yards from them so I can hear.

TheLBLman

It's very low frequency, sounds like the bass of an expensive car speaker system. It can be easy to get them confused if your near a road.

Sometimes I can feel the drumming, it's hard to describe.
Agree.
I've also described the sound, and the "vibration", somewhat like distance ordinance exploding, which is so far away, barely audible, as you "feel" it as much as you hear it.

Remember the scene in the original Jurassic Park movie as the water glass was vibrating?
That is somewhat the sensation of a drumming Tom.

Big Gun

I've only heard it a couple of times. Once was watching some penned up turkeys and the tom was strutting and drumming only feet away. The other time was watching some birds in a field about 20 yards away. I have tinnitus and my ears ring all the time so maybe that affects me hearing it.

Bohuntr

This is interesting because I've always had the same exact problem. I've hunted turkeys for over 30 years and was never able to hear them spitting and drumming either in the field or in videos when the hosts were telling you to listen to them spitting and drumming. Had my hearing checked and was told that my hearing was fine but that those sounds were just out of my hearing range.
Then on opening weekend of this year, I called a gobbler in that came in spitting and drumming and I could hear it all! I killed him at 23 yards. The next weekend I called another one in and the same thing happened. He was out of my gun range, over 40 yards away, but I could still hear him spitting and drumming, even that far away. I can only assume that something in my hearing has changed, but I'm thrilled to be able to now hear those fascinating sounds. I only wish whatever changed had happened earlier in my hunting career.

TheLBLman

I can only assume that something in my hearing has changed, but I'm thrilled to be able to now hear those fascinating sounds.

I had turkey hunted @ 20 years before I ever heard drumming. Now for @ 20 years later, regularly hear drumming. I think for me it was just "tuning in" to those low-frequency sounds, recognizing them, rather than just paying no attention to "background noise".

Kinda like you can't see something you're not looking for, or don't recognize when you see. My experience finding shed deer antlers was a similar epiphany. Went years without finding many, then suddenly, just had the ability to recognize & regularly find.

Ebby

I've got 2 buddies that can really hear it well. Like over 150 yards away well. It helps them a ton in the turkey woods. I can hear it but only much closer. Typically 40-60 yds depending on terrain and stuff. It's helped me kill a lot of birds over the years.

They will hear birds drumming on the roost that didn't gobble and then we will kill them when they fly down. It's crazy how far they can hear it. It's an awesome sound.

Lee

PalsPal

I've got 2 buddies that can really hear it well. Like over 150 yards away well. It helps them a ton in the turkey woods. I can hear it but only much closer.

They will hear birds drumming on the roost that didn't gobble and then we will kill them when they fly down. It's crazy how far they can hear it. It's an awesome sound.

That's cheating :D ! No telling how many more birds I would have killed over the years.

I can only assume that something in my hearing has changed, but I'm thrilled to be able to now hear those fascinating sounds. I only wish whatever changed had happened earlier in my hunting career.

I have had very good hearing, thankfully, but just could not hear the drum for whatever reason. Mine changed when I had a gobbler come down a logging road 5 steps behind me, as I was facing the field. He hadn't gobbled for a bit, and I just knew he would come down the field edge :rolleyes: !

He drummed right behind me, and I felt and heard it. I was ecstatic that I had finally heard it. Since them I have for sure heard it maybe 4-5 other times. But, I cannot tell direction, and they have to be close. But, like you, I'm just glad that I can now hear it occasionally, and I know what it sounds like.

Seriously, for those who can't hear it, get a set of good headphones and watch Catman's video I linked above on a PC or phone with the volume up. If you can't hear it there, then there probably isn't any hope. Be sure to take the headphones off before he shoots!

Latest posts