Drop shotting for Crappie

Kirk

I accidentally discovered this afternoon that you can absolutely drag some crappie out of the water drop shotting. I was using a Gulp Alive 3" minnow (smelt) on a drop shot rig dropping in on some submerged brush. I was pre-fishing for a Bass tournament his weekend when I made this discovery.

I was running a sonar pass over a deep water ledge and found some submerged timber with a lot of fish suspending on it. I tossed out a marker and moved off of it for a few minutes. I am thinking BASS and lots of Bass are on this cover.

I pull back over the spot and lower the drop shot rig. WHAM it gets hit. I reel up a nice Crappie. I drop it in again. This time it falls about 3 feet and gets slammed by another crappie.
I pulled 11 crappie off of this cover before I lost my minnow. I decided to move on and get on with my search for bass.

Crow Terminator

Yep folks think drop shotting is a relatively new tactic for fishing. The truth of the matter is, its been around long before depth finders came to be about and it originated as a crappie fishing tactic. Do a search for the "Kentucky Lake Rig" for crappie and you'll see the basic drop shot. They would use large sinkers so that they could feel the dropoffs and cover down in the depths; they didn't have sonar to show them where it was, so they had to feel around for it. It is an absolutely deadly tactic for deepwater crappie. One of my favorites.

Latest posts