DPMS Oracle Accuracy

gtk

Staff member
I bought my son a DPMS Oracle 223/556 last year. He has been complaining that it doesn't shoot worth a flip.

He had a cheapo scope on it, and recently bought a Vortex Spitfire Prism 3x scope and mounted it . It still will not group better than 5"-10" at 100 yards. We have tried a few diff brands of ammo, but it all shoots about the same. Is this just as good as it going to shoot ? Or could there be some other factor?

The scope is tight. He has rails & bi-pod mounted on it.

edtcase

Has he tried shooting out of Something like a lead sled? Helped my son tremendously as he was pulling to the right. Just a thought.

gtk

Staff member
i thought it was just "him".. I shot & got the same results.

I know nothing about these guns.. I was wondering if it could be the rails I put on it? Can they be installed incorrectly & put some kind of pressure on the barrel?

What about the bi-pod. When we shoot it, we were using the bi-pod for stability, and sand bag on rear

DaveB

What weight bullet you shooting.

Anyone know twist rate on the DPMS in question? 1 in 9, right? Ought to shoot up to 75 grains or so, eh?

By chance do you know the hit sequence location by round?

Sounds to me like something is loose. You positive the rail is tight? The rear ring definitely is tight?

Is your group a horizontal spread, a vertical spread, above the point of aim, below the point of aim, all to left, all to right, etc. The results can be helpful in determing what is wrong.

Need more info and a picture is helpful, even a drawing.

gtk

Staff member
1in9 twist.

shooting 55 grain

i don't remember exact hit sequence, but it seems like there is always on extreme flier. i would say its more of a circular spread, with one usually in/near bullseye, and the other spread around. the extreme flier always seems to be high.

how do you tell if rear ring is tight. i know nothing about these guns.

i will double check the rail

infoman jr.

So many variables. What is the bipod attached to? The handguard is not one that promotes accuracy. A free float option would help. There is a huge difference in 5 and 10 inches. What's the best group it's shot, and how many shots was in that group? The trigger in that gun is very difficult to shoot well. Have you tried dry firing with it?

gtk

Staff member
bipod is attached to the rails. i don't know if it shot "better' when it was brand new or not, as I haven't shot it much at all.

yes, trigger is crap, but it still should shoot better. the best grouping lately has been with the cheapo "tulla" ammo in 223. he bought a 200 round can of that "FC" 556 milsup ammo in 55 grain.

TNRifleman

gtk":2zxyik46 said:
bipod is attached to the rails. i don't know if it shot "better' when it was brand new or not, as I haven't shot it much at all.

yes, trigger is crap, but it still should shoot better. the best grouping lately has been with the cheapo "tulla" ammo in 223. he bought a 200 round can of that "FC" 556 milsup ammo in 55 grain.

Maybe the combo of red dot scope and 3x magnification. My DPMS shoots under an inch at 100 yards with multiple ammo types when I have my Vortex 3-12X42 on it. However, when I shoot a red dot at 0 magnification, I am trying to hit a 5" circle. You may try to mount a regular scope on it if you have one and eliminate that as a possibility.

GOODWIN

TNRifleman":ploaz97r said:
gtk":ploaz97r said:

Maybe the combo of red dot scope and 3x magnification. My DPMS shoots under an inch at 100 yards with multiple ammo types when I have my Vortex 3-12X42 on it. However, when I shoot a red dot at 0 magnification, I am trying to hit a 5" circle. You may try to mount a regular scope on it if you have one and eliminate that as a possibility.

Yes try a different scope. Rule out the optic.

mr.big

send it back,,you should be able to shoot 10 inches with a CVA Blazer mzl offhand with roundballs,,something is seriously fubared

my cheap High Standard Carbine will shoot 1.5 inches with a sucky trigger and a zero mag Eotech,,had an Rem R15 that would shoot 3/4 inches with a 4.5-14 LR/T,,

TNRifleman

mr.big":1yotgycv said:
send it back,,you should be able to shoot 10 inches with a CVA Blazer mzl offhand with roundballs,,something is seriously fubared

my cheap High Standard Carbine will shoot 1.5 inches with a sucky trigger and a zero mag Eotech,,had an Rem R15 that would shoot 3/4 inches with a 4.5-14 LR/T,,

Yeah but you also shoot more rounds per year than probably 80% of us combined :)

gtk

Staff member
thx for the input.

this is the 3rd scope I've put on it, and this latest scope is not a cheap one..

I didn't get a chance to shoot this weekend, but will re-check the rails & crown, & shoot this week.

CATCHDAWG

To light of a bullet for that twist. Try some 69 grain Privi match grade. You can get it for bout $10 for a 20 round box. I had the same problem with my R.R. with the same twist, different ammo put it under a inch.

rtaylor

Shot an Oracle for years and the accuracy was almost as good as my Daniel Defense so something is not right. I tested multiple factory loads through it and all 55, 62, and 64 grain ammo grouped well. I wish I could diagnose what your gun's problem is but I can't. My first instinct is rings, base, or scope.

BobTail

How are you attaching these things to the rifle? The Oracle has the plastic non-floated handguard. Are you clamping anything to the barrel? Pics would be helpful.

CATCHDAWG":1zu8nxkj said:
To light of a bullet for that twist. Try some 69 grain Privi match grade.

Unless the rifle has a problem, it does NOT require 69 grain bullets to shoot accurately. Something else is amiss.

I own 3 DPMS rifles (one is an Oracle) and they all shoot well under MOA. All of them are 1:9 twists and they shoot 50, 55, and 60 grain bullets equally well.

And I'm not saying that it can't be done, but my experience is that it would be difficult for me to shoot MOA groups at 100 yards with a 3 power optic.

Latest posts