Dove ??

spctbone

2-Step Enabled
Just a couple of questions for ya.
I have never hunted dove before but would really like to try it.
I have a mossberg 835 with a 24" barrel. Is it possible to use this gun to hunt dove? If so What choke would you recomend? I have every choke for it, just not sure which one to use.

Any pointers for me guys?

Anyone know where a man could hunt dove in east Tn?

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Early in the season, before they are pressured a modified will suit you fine.
If possible find a field that has either a pond or some big dead trees, or both along the edge.
Position yourself close to either, preferably the dead trees.
Dove like to land in them before committing to going to the ground.
Don't be scared to shoot one sitting either. :D

UPSman

2-Step Enabled
7 and a halves or 8's

an 835 with a 24 inch barrel has put many a dove on the grill.

gil1

Spitbone - my tip of the day...
If you get a hunt, do just like you would for deer or turkeys, SCOUT!
The prior afternoon, go to the field and find out where the doves are flying. It is very common for a corner or 2 to outproduce another field edge 5 to 1. It can be frustrating to get zero shots when others are tearing it up just 100 yards down from you. Treelines, corners, dips, a water source, telephone lines, high points are good. A lone, big-azz tree in the middle of a field is one of my favorites.

Wear bug spray and sunscreen, bring a very comfortable chair, a sweat towel, tons of liquids, and bring a pocket knife for when your gun won't eject the shell (this only happens when you have your only shot at a double).

DO NOT SHOOT AT LOW BIRDS, AND NEVER SWING YOUR GUN TOWARD THE DUDE SITTING DOWN FROM YOU.

If you want to be invited back, don't get drunk and proclaim your "self-satisfying" dreams. :D

Darkthirty II

One of my favorite places to set up on a field is a gap in a treeline. Powerlines and dead trees are great too, but those birds have gotta get there somehow.
I probally shoot more doves than the average person, simply because I love wingshooting,I will turn down a deer hunt to hunt doves. Don't get bummed if you can't find a field for opening day, there will be awesome opportunities later in the season, picked cornfields and also freshly planted wheat fields. My second best dove hunt ever was on Christmas Eve morning. Might be coincidence, but it seems that later in the year its easier to get permission also.
For early season doves, my favorite load is Winchester AA's in 71/2's or 8's,with a improved cylinder. I've tried 9's but you get a lot of feathers and not many birds. Later in the season, your dealing with bigger, thicker feathered birds, and I like using 6's or 71/2's,with a modified or sometimes full choke. High brass 8's are perfect but there hard to find and expensive. Most importantly, clean up after yourself, and pick up empties.

Model70Man

All good info above. I like to shoot 7.5 shot out of my 12 gauge with a Modified choke. Also, get you a mojo dove and the dove will fly right to it. Set up 20 yds from it and you will have a blast.

mike243

i bought a mojo dove last year & never seen the first 1 come near it,maybe it will do better this year :) mike243

Darkthirty II

I have used the mojo dove, and I think it works too well. The doves will see it, and dive straight down to it, and if your shooting with others in the field, then its impossible to shoot the birds due to low flyers. If your by yourself in a big field though, it works great.

wcsd462

Anyone know of any shoots around Wilson County. I know the T.W.R.A used to put some on but I havn't heard of any this year.

Model70Man

Darkthirty II said:
I have used the mojo dove, and I think it works too well. The doves will see it, and dive straight down to it, and if your shooting with others in the field, then its impossible to shoot the birds due to low flyers. If your by yourself in a big field though, it works great.

Exactly the same results with me. If it's crowded, it could actually be a hinderance.

Latest posts