Food Plots Dove Fields

drrxnupe

Could someone post their recipe for a good dove field? I'm referring to what to plant (prefer manual mix instead of high dollar bird on the bag mixes)? How close to tree line or other cover? Best time to put seed in the ground? When to cut? How to cut? The field will be in Mississippi and I'm honestly not sure if laws are different with regards to hunting over cut fields.

spoon

Sunflower by May 1st and bushhog them about august first spray to kill them and bushhog them about 2 weeks later

drrxnupe

I ended up disking a 6.5 acre field. Then I broadcasting 150# of a co-op mix called doves-a-plenty and 300# of urea over ~4 acres. Afterwards I ran my cultipacker over it and the rain came as I was finishing up. We'll see how it goes.

pressfit

I have been doing dove fields for 25 years or more... IMO... nothing beats a fresh disked and top sown winter wheat crop.. sown about a week before the season..

Hunter 257W

pressfit said:
I have been doing dove fields for 25 years or more... IMO... nothing beats a fresh disked and top sown winter wheat crop.. sown about a week before the season..

By "Top Sowed" do you mean just broadcasting the wheat on top of the ground and making no effort to cover it? If so, isn't that just baiting under a different name??

drrxnupe

Hunter 257W said:
pressfit said:

By "Top Sowed" do you mean just broadcasting the wheat on top of the ground and making no effort to cover it? If so, isn't that just baiting under a different name??

That was my question...

Sounds good but I'm afraid to get in trouble??

hitek7

You can legally dove hunt over "top sewn" wheat. The ground has to be disced to mostly dirt before broadcasting and I think you can do like 200 lbs per acre.

Hunter 257W

hitek7 said:
You can legally dove hunt over "top sewn" wheat. The ground has to be disced to mostly dirt before broadcasting and I think you can do like 200 lbs per acre.

So you are saying that is considered a "Normal agricultural practice"? Disking the ground up the broadcasting wheat on top and making zero effort to cover it? Sounds like something that could get you in a lot of trouble to me. But, hey, if it's legal I'd like to give it a try.

Hunter 257W

I just have a hard time with seeing the differnece between this and broadcasting shelled corn to dove hunt over because everybody knows that in both cases the grain is put down not to farm but to shoot doves over.

pressfit

Hunter 257W said:
I just have a hard time with seeing the differnece between this and broadcasting shelled corn to dove hunt over because everybody knows that in both cases the grain is put down not to farm but to shoot doves over.
not correct.. we have top sown wheat for years.. it will come up covered or not.. we have even top sown it with a crop duster before.. if its used for a winter erosion cover crop to me top sown is fine.. were I to double crop and try to harvest it for a crop I would fertilize and drill it in to make sure I get a real good germination.. but for winter cover.. top is fine..

Southern Sportsman

As pressfit mentioned, top sown wheat is legal. Of course it's just baiting under a different name, but so are all foodplots. The TN recognizes it as legal because top sowing wheat on broken ground in the early fall is a legitimate means of establishing a winter ground cover. In fact, it is a more legitimate ag practice than bushhogging sunflowers for doves or flooding a perfectly good standing corn for ducks or growing chuffa for turkeys. None of these latter practices even have a make-believe agricultural purpose. They are done only for the purpose of attracting game in order to shoot it.

Hunter 257W

Thanks. Sorting through all these "legal" baiting practices -and being confident a visiting Game Warden will agree with my understanding of the law - keeps me nervous. :) I'm sure that at one time, the words "Normal agricultural practice" meant just that. It was legal to hunt in a corn field after it had been combined and the fact that the small amount of corn accidentally left would attract game was deemed acceptable since it was left there due to the combines inability to get it all. As always happens, people read the law and start to test the limits and now we plant entire fields just for hunting. :)

Specifically on the idea of the Winter Wheat as a cover crop, I do like that one since a cover crop IS a legitimate farming practice if you don't want all your high ground top soil down in the low parts of your farm. It seems that the key to doing this legally is to be sure the ground is disked up enough to leave plenty of bare dirt so that the Wheat really has a chance to take root and grow in a sufficient amount to protect the ground from erosion.

I haven't had a good dove hunt in so many years taht I can't recall....it's been well over 20 years.....I just may do this this year.

drrxnupe

Another aspect to this that can be argued is sowing wheat on undisked soil. One could argue that an area is simply being over-seeded without disking to establish a cover crop??? I'm just so confused??? I worry enough as it is about dove hunting with guys without shotgun plugs.

pressfit

actually you dont have to even disc the soil for the wheat to grow.. I planted a hill side one year specifically to turn my cows in on and it grew no problem.. all I did was sew it with a broadcast 3 pt hitch spreader..

Hunter 257W

Thanks, drrxnupe, it's been a while but I recall having read that in the past. There's a lot of vague statements in there, aren't there? One in particular is in the "Bona Fide Agricultural Operations & Procedures" section and says ".....Merely imitating agriculture as a ruse to circumvent the regulations is not acceptable...."

Yet, that's exactly what we are doing everytime we plant a so-called dove field just to shoot doves over.

I see that they do indeed allow planting a Winter cover crop and do specifically mention overseeding bean, corn or cotton fields with Winter wheat or rye.

Yet the paragraph addressing "Baited Areas" specifically mentions that exposed grain placed for the purpose of attracting birds is illegal.

But let's say I read the paragraph about Cover Crops and take it for gospel. So I go and broadcast 150lbs/acre of wheat and make no effort to cover it. On Opening Day, the game Warden hears a lot of shooting and comes to check licenses. He sees wheat scattered everywhere in the field. I say it's for a cover crop. He says it's baited. Based on the fact that I'm shooting doves, he says the grain was put there as an attractant to shoot over. I have no way to prove my intent and I AM there hunting as he said. End result is that I get a ticket and big fine. Seems very open to interpretation to me and makes me nervous all Game Wardens would be in agreement on the legality of some fields.

Latest posts