Dove field

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
Is TWRA ever gonna post the lease fields for this year?

I suspect the reason for late postings is there's often not clarity on when harvest will take place until less than a month out.

A private hunt I'm planning to go on is doing a delayed harvest. I suppose because of drought earlier in the year. Not sure why.

scn

I THINK TWRA probably leases some fields in the spring where the farmer does the top sown cover crop after their harvest. Even then, I'm sure there are clauses in the contract that can delay completion of the field due to weather conditions.

At least when I was around it, the majority of the fields are leased at the last minute as harvests are completed and doves congregate. It does VERY LITTLE to lease a field weeks in advance when there in no assurance that it will be harvested or birds will be on the field. It is a pretty expensive deal for the agency, so they want some results as well as the hunter opportunity.

TWRA is well aware that people want to perhaps scout a field and at least make plans in advance. As they come up with their lists, they will post the info as soon as it is finalized.

Dodge Man

If the corn fields in the rest of the state look as bad as the ones here in Maury County, there won't be anything to actually lease. The fields around me never even went to tassle.
Every corn field in N West TN that I have seen is still green and Far from harvest. They will not cut any corn until late September. There will be nothing cut before dove opener to lease that I could see unless they cuy corn for silage.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Every corn field in N West TN that I have seen is still green and Far from harvest. They will not cut any corn until late September. There will be nothing cut before dove opener to lease that I could see unless they cuy corn for silage.
It looks the same around here. All the corn is still green. I think a lot of it got put in late because of the spring rains, and the recent rains and mild weather have it staying green later. I'm not even gonna take off work to try it anywhere.

Latest posts