Don't shoot a hinge..........

TNDeerGuy

So, I've committed to shooting a hinge, for the 3rd and final time by the way, and took it out for its first round after shooting with it for a month and this happens..... Coming to full draw, settling into the anchor and snap the arrow goes downrange and I'm thinking I mentally brokedown and slipped the release sending the arrow into a tree. The problem is, you can't tell when you're limb comes apart, or your break the release over accidentally! :lol: :lol:

The positive side is, I still shot a clean 10 on the target after thinking the pop I heard was the arrow burying into a tree! :party:

tree_ghost

Am I seeing this right...did you delaminate your bottom limb on that new elite? If so how did that happen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TNDeerGuy

It happened just as I described—I can't make this stuff up, but it's only something that would happen to me...LOL! I came to full draw, went straight to anchor and before I could get to the click on the hinge it just popped causing the shot to go off. Of course, I wasn't ready for it so that is why I didn't know exactly were the arrow went at first—I really thought it was centerpunched in a tree. I walked back and put the bow on my stool and went back to the stake with everyone else and realized my arrow was in the 10-ring. That is when I knew something was wrong with the bow, as the arrow didn't go into a tree, so I went back to the bow and noticed a huge split in the bottom limb.

This wasn't my new Elite, this was my 2014 E32—my hunting rig. As far as what happened to it, I'm really not sure. I have always checked my equipment frequently just as a safety measure and I didn't see anything. Actually, the night before I went over the entire bow wiping it down and cleaning it up a little with a chamois rag. As far as what the cause was, I've no idea. Every manufacturer has a small percentage of limb failures, so I assume it was some kind of delamination that has been working its way out over time. The split was a perfect symmetrical triangle that came from the center of the limb out towards the edges—1/2" wide I guess and split all the way thru the limb. Either way, Elite will stand behind it happened and my friend is going to get it taken care of this week, so all is good. I just had two choices—laugh or cry, so it's obvious how I handled it....LOL. If I didn't have bad luck, I would have no luck at all and if it is strange and goofy, it's going to happen to me. ;)

tree_ghost

That's one of the craziest things I've ever heard...curious, I may be missing the obvious here, but what cause do you think the hinge release had in all this? I've thought about shooting one all year to prep for deer season and using one in a tree...

gobblinfool

tree ghost I think he was spoofing the cause of the breakdown on the release....because up until he saw the limb jacked up, he couldn't tell.....when you have had a surprise release....you'll understand.....but to me the hinge is the only way to go once you have learned how to use it.....get a truball sweet spot, it has a safety on it.....

TNDeerGuy

tree_ghost":3qrjm2m3 said:
That's one of the craziest things I've ever heard...curious, I may be missing the obvious here, but what cause do you think the hinge release had in all this? I've thought about shooting one all year to prep for deer season and using one in a tree...

I was joking--shooting a hinge did nothing to cause this. However, it did temporarily cover up the fact of what hastened to the limb, because me and everyone in my group thought I brokeover the release and the arrow was in a tree...lol. It is likely that if I had a thumb button or what strap release the arrow would have never been launched when the limb came apart.

I'll start another thread on hinge shooting so people don't get confused with me poking fun at myself. :)

Crow Terminator

The ArcheryTalk Trolls are on a kick right now about shooting to the left with Elite bows due to torque from pulling hard into the limb stops. This will further fuel them if they catch wind of it...saying there was so much torque on your bow that it splintered the limb.

TNDeerGuy

Crow Terminator":1qz1hjhf said:
The ArcheryTalk Trolls are on a kick right now about shooting to the left with Elite bows due to torque from pulling hard into the limb stops. This will further fuel them if they catch wind of it...saying there was so much torque on your bow that it splintered the limb.

There is a degree of truth in what they are saying, but I'm sure it is very blown out of proportion with all the armchair pros and bow engineers on there. :)

PillsburyDoughboy

Ok I went back and re read it. When the limb broke it caused the hinge to release??? Had you had a wrist release you would have known something had snapped and still holding back at full draw?? Am I understanding it better now???

TNDeerGuy

PillsburyDoughboy":3tlc35l7 said:
Ok I went back and re read it. When the limb broke it caused the hinge to release??? Had you had a wrist release you would have known something had snapped and still holding back at full draw?? Am I understanding it better now???

You got it now! ;)

infoman jr.

TNDeerGuy":tgg0iqhr said:
Crow Terminator":tgg0iqhr said:

There is a degree of truth in what they are saying, but I'm sure it is very blown out of proportion with all the armchair pros and bow engineers on there. :)
And I thought the gun experts were bad...that site is something else. And to think I almost interviewed at Bear. :shock:

Latest posts