Dog Proof Coon Traps

TNJones4530

2-Step Enabled
Looking for half a dozen or a dozen of dog proof coon traps…

I think I have quite the family of raccoons around.. and no, the feeder isn't hunted over and outside of the 250 yard range 😬

Attachments

• 20DFB64F-0755-4158-91DF-B72AD533799E.jpeg
    20DFB64F-0755-4158-91DF-B72AD533799E.jpeg
    15 KB · Views: 25
  • 43EF1F30-6E0F-4A6D-9ACB-DF2B65182089.jpeg
    43EF1F30-6E0F-4A6D-9ACB-DF2B65182089.jpeg
    11.5 KB · Views: 25

JB1230

You're on the right track. Best thing you can do for turkeys on your place.

MPW are great supporters of conservation so I try to order most stuff from them...for what it's worth.

Hduke86

MPW are great supporters of conservation so I try to order most stuff from them...for what it's worth.
The z-trap is what I use and the push/pull trigger is the only way to go.

TNJones4530

2-Step Enabled

Pleased to see about 8 or so new baby turkeys on the property this year. Most seem to have made it too..

Planking

The z-trap is what I use and the push/pull trigger is the only way to go.
The problem i have with the z-trap over the other brands is that round disk on the ground stake. That thing on the stake makes it much harder to install into the ground and its not as sturdy once its in. They aren't my favorite because of that.

squirrel_hunter

I think i have around 8 dz dog proof. I run more dukes than any other. I also have z traps and lil grizz. U cant go wrong with duke or z traps. I like the lil grizz but hate the stake on the trap. I replace my dog proof springs every 2 yrs or so. I dont want any weak springs.

Hduke86

The problem i have with the z-trap over the other brands is that round disk on the ground stake. That thing on the stake makes it much harder to install into the ground and its not as sturdy once its in. They aren't my favorite because of that.
Yea that can be a problem and it was for me in the beginning. Now I have 2 1/2k' rebar that I drive in the ground and about half the time I just leave the trap laying on its side on the ground

Hduke86

What are y'all anchoring with? Just one piece of rebar, how long? Or are you crossing etc?
I just anchor with one 2 1/2' rebar on each trap. I'll give it a solid tug and if it feels like it "could" come up then I have tent stakes that I'll screw into the ground next to it and have made 1' long cable with quick links on the ends to attach to the chain of the trap. This is just a backup IF they pull the rebar out of the ground somehow.

TripleE

That's the best thing you can do for your turkeys. Started out with a few Duke traps and bought more and more. Now up to 18 of them.

2020: 12 coons, skunks and grinners
2021: 23 coons, skunks and grinners
2022: 85 coons, skunks and grinners (so far)

This year, I've never seen more turkeys in my life
What do you use for bait?

Latest posts