Does beginners luck work ?

megalomaniac

Just enjoy the experience, and try to figure out what you did wrong or what you could have done differently after every single hunt. That's the fastest way to learn and keep from repeating the same mistakes.

All turkeys have the same general biologic tendencies... however, remember individual birds have different personalities, and even those can change throughout the day. A bird that is unkillable may become the bird that charges in suicidally a few hours later, as long as you don't bump him.... so don't bump birds if at all possible. If you can't get one to work, just remember where he is and come back later, no need to push the envelope if he's not in the mood and spook him to the next county.

philsanchez76

I think dumb luck can strike in the turkey woods just as much as it can in the deer woods. However, when we deer hunt we are quiet and that means we tend to stay out of our own way. For turkey, we are moving around and calling and doing all kinds of stuff to get in the way of that luck. Find you spot, commit to hunker down for a while and call very little and that dumb luck can strike.

clwg97

2-Step Enabled
Don't get worried about harvesting a bird. Springtime in the woods chasing gobblers you get to see so many awesome things. Enjoy it and keep learning and eventually it will happen.

Rakkin6

Honestly I think first time hunters tend to have good luck. The reason I say this is because they usually know the basics and follow those. Not saying experience isn't a great thing. But I killed one my first year with no mentor. Just looked at my wife after deer season and told her I was going to try turkey hunting. That was 10 years ago. First half of the season I was over calling a lot. Then I bumped into a guy and he told me to shut up once they are coming to you. So my advice is this.

KISS (Keep it simple stupid)

1. Patience
2. Unless you have already been practicing with mouth calls it may be to late to learn.
3. Get a pot call and a box call or two and learn the basics. Yelp, cut, purr
4. Make sure you do not have any red, white or blue colors on anything. Some people do not use target identification before pulling the trigger.
5. This could be my personal opinion but I am camo head to toe. Now I sometimes just use my old Army BDU and multiicams. Sometimes a leafy suit No need to spend a fortune.
6. Have fun

I think you will get one, good luck

bvoss

"The number one thing it takes to kill a turkey, is a turkey". Eddie Salter

If you have access to a place with turkeys, and you want to learn to hunt them, you will figure it out. Learn to make a decent yelp on pretty much any style call that works best for you. Box or Slate sees to be some of the easiest. Dont call too much. Get as close to him as you can before you call to him. If hes headed your way put the call down.

Be patient with the birds and yourself!

woodsman04

The turkeys I scared the poop out of Sunday, will they return to that area in a couple weeks?
They probably are already back.

The only absolute thing in turkeys is nothing is absolute. I've seen them avoid areas like the plague after being spooked. I've also seen them be in that are the following day.
I've spooked turkeys before, only to kill them a few hours later in the day. I've spooked turkeys before and never got another good opportunity at him the remainder of the season.

What makes it so fun is just playing the game and messing with them.

most of the times they all have the same tendencies. But you can still never tell

Layne

"Does beginners luck work?"

Yeah, but usually for the turkey...
Just enjoy the experience, IMO you are at the most exciting stage of turkey hunting... all those firsts you'll be enjoying are great. You'll have a lot of sleepless nights thinking about turkeys, then you'll have a lot of day dreams thinking about turkeys... you'll wake up on the days you can't hunt wondering if that turkey you're hunting is in there gobbling that morning...
good luck.

Hymie3

I would say if you do experience beginners luck, don't think it will be easy every time! Every gobbler is different in the way they react so there is really no substitute for time spent in the woods and learning as much as possible. Good luck, I hope you get one and get hooked on it.

Stayinthewoods

Going turkey hunting for the first time this season.
It sure did for me. I went turkey hunting with my papaw for the first time when I was 13. We drove out to the land and he was reminding me of some of the basics along the way. We park and he eases his door shut. Excited young me slams my door and it strikes a gobble right as he is looking at me like I'd lost my mind. We slip into the woods and I kill my first turkey within ten minutes.

....then I went on a three year dry spell🤣.

Good luck!