Doe kill problem

swd

The landowner for my largest farm wants us to take 20 more does this season. There are only 2 of us hunting 525 acres. We are limited to close friends and family to invite out. I already have 4 in the freezer and only need 1 more for my house. I can account for 3 more for my in laws. My hunting partner can use 2 or 3 more himself.

Our processor has said he is already over what he plans to do for Hunters for the Hungry. How can I kill more than a dozen additional deer? I cannot let them go to waste. I'd rather lose permission than see that happen.

Any ideas or suggestions?

cbhunter

I don't know your situation at or landowner at all but it sounds like he may be setting unreasonable expectations on just a few hunters. Is it possible he is trying to force yall out?

I lost one of my best farms years ago by not taking does as the landowner had requested. I was living in "big buck" mode back in those days and he had plenty of them.

However, I learned a valuable lesson: listen closely to the landowners and respect their wishes. He was a farmer as well so he was sick of losing crops.

Goodtimekiller

Not sure where you are from but ft campbell has a list of soldier's families that want deer meat and i dont think they ever get enough for the entire list. You can take the deer and drop it off in their cooler. If you are a good distance you could kill several at a time and take them in one trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

swd

The farm is in Fayette. I am in Shelby. We just got permission to hunt this year. He was clear that he wanted does taken from the beginning. This is the first time a hard number has been given. Getting the number is not a problem. Utilizing the meat is. We have not taken a buck yet. Only does so far.

BARhunter

swd":17kcxnh7 said:
He lives on 600+ acres down the road that he hunts.

So, now that this information is known, how many does is he taking off the 600+ acres? I completely understand it's his property, but it sounds like he may have established an un-reacheable number for you guys and the property you are hunting. Is he possibly just using you guys to eliminate what he thinks is an overpopulation of does? Will whether or not you kill his specified number of does influence your future hunting privileges or possibly the costs of your hunting privileges on his property, and if so, how? I would definitely consider asking him if he knows anyone who would be willing to take any killed does for the meat.

Latest posts