Distracting predators with edge feathering

String Music

I spent a good portion of the winter hinge cutting and creating edge around our food plots and roads to try and increase cover and natural browse for deer.

My goal wasn't just to create a better habitat for deer and turkey; I also wanted to increase our small game population in attempts to keep the predators at bay while the fawns matured.

After a couple of visits to our property, I can confidently say that the rabbits and mice darting infront of my truck as I drove through these areas; Some of which have never held any small game before.

I don't have any real proof that this theory works, but common sense says it's at least plausible. I saw a fawn up and running this past weekend, I'd like to think I distracted the predators long enough for the litte guy to get up and running.

BSK

To protect fawns and turkey nests, generally you need larger sections of thick cover. But every little bit helps for rabbits and mice.

TheLBLman

BSK said:
But every little bit helps for rabbits and mice.
At least initially, increasing the rabbit and mice population could divert some predator attention away from the fawn crop. Unfortunately, more rabbits and mice may also have the unintended consequence of increasing young coyote and bobcat survival, i.e. more adult coyotes next year to prey on fawns.

Football Hunter

Wes Parrish said:
BSK said:
But every little bit helps for rabbits and mice.
At least initially, increasing the rabbit and mice population could divert some predator attention away from the fawn crop. Unfortunately, more rabbits and mice may also have the unintended consequence of increasing young coyote and bobcat survival, i.e. more adult coyotes next year to prey on fawns.
Coyotes suck,but I love seeing Bobcats,they are so cool when stalking,love em.