Dispatching animals

Beaver86

What is the best way to dispatch an animal I am wanting to mount? Right now I am targeting a red fox in a cage trap. Would like to use .22 but worried about the entrance/exit hole. Thought about catch pole but didn't want to rub hide. Looking for method that will not damage fur to the point it can't be mounted. Thanks

duckriver

I've heard of people filling a water tub up and sitting the cage in it and drowning the critter.

But that's kinda morbid lol

AT Hiker

Just shoot him with the .22 in the heart. Unless you are trying to compete at the World show, the stitch repair is super easy and will be unnoticeable if done correctly. Not to mention you owe it to the animal to kill him as quickly and humanely as possible.

Just remember that fox have thin skin so when your tanning it be very careful. They require minimal fleshing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gtk

Staff member
we used to carry a big hickory stick and just wop them between the eyes.. but that was in a leg hold trap, not a live trap.. and that worked good until you got a mad bobcat and miss with the first swing and step too close it with the follow through ...

i guess you could open the cage with one hand and wop it real good when it comes out ..

gecko7

I've had very good luck using subsonic .22 lr out of a pistol. Shoot them right under the chin in the neck and the bullet will not exit the body leaving just small hole in the neck.

Dean Parisian

Pamelot, TN Ghost Ranc MT San Jose del Cabo, MX
do what every fox trapper in the country does and put the guns away........ lightly "tap" the fox on the nose and stun him and then take one foot and pin his neck down and the other heel and hit your heel into his heart as he lays on his side three or four times or just do what I used to do and put your foot on his neck and pound with your clenched fist on his heart and feel the heart pound and then reach up into the rig cage through the skin and pinch his heart and squeeze. Easy to find because it is beating very fast.

there is no need to mess with blood, guns, sewing up holes. for bobcats and coyotes i use a .22 short in the ear. simple

Latest posts