Disc head scratcher...

RedDawg

Can this possibly be true? I need to replace a couple of the notched discs on my old Ford Series G tandem disc (built by Dearborn I believe). This thing is at least 50 years old according to the research. I had to split the square nuts off the end of each axle as nothing I tried let me unscrew them. I disassembled the gangs of discs and have the new ones coming in.

Now I have to replace the nuts. I cleaned the axles up in the bead blaster. The documentation I find on this old disc says it has 7/8 round axles so I think it is a 7/8 Narrow Thread but that hexagon nut won't go on. Both 7/8 and 1 Course Thread nuts are wrong. I running all over and finally go to Fastenal here in town. After getting out the gauges and micrometers, it measures out to a 15/16 rod with a 24 metric thread. Is that possible? He's got some coming in tomorrow morning and I can try them. If they don't fit I don't have to buy them. But is this possible?

Thanks for the insight.

Steve

muddyboots

U got me there. The nuts that fit mine uses an 1 11/16 socket. But i have square axles. Yours sounds totally different. I may be wrong but i think u can count the threads in an inch and goole that and it should tell u what it is bu thread count and diameter.

Bucket

Also metric thread pitches are called out differently. 7/8"-9 coarse thread is 7/8 diameter and 9 threads per inch. Metric threads are specified in distance (in mm) between each thread. A coarse thread M24 x 3 has 3mm between each thread and fine thread is 2mm.

Latest posts