Destin FL, fishing

ShootmStraight

Hey guys, I am heading to Destin in a few weeks somewhere along the Emerald Coast. Does anyone have any advice , places, bait, low high tied. I have only fished in ocean from a boat and never tried surf fishing.

Thanks!

Model70Man

Get you some sand fleas and use a pompano rig with the yellow floats above the hook to float the bait up off of the sandy bottom. I use a 3 or 4 oz diamond sinker and cast past the second or third sand bar. I usually catch pompano, reds, lady fish, Jack fish, blue fish and several others. I cut the lady fish up and catch sharks and Spanish mackeral.

rockytopcop

Mudbone said:
Fish the jetties in the evening or early morning, just be careful.

Do your best to get there before daylight or all the good spots will be taken, and definitely be careful those rocks are sharp and extremely slick. Good Luck

Crosshairy

And don't tie the stringer to yourself if you catch something worth keeping, unless you want to start a chum line....

Last time I went surf fishing I cut a few sections of 2" PVC (or whatever size you need to fit around the butt of the biggest rod you have). Use those as rod holders in the sand if you want to put out more than one line. The sand will be so loose that the catfish rod holders you have from home USUALLY won't work unless they have a really long stake. You can buy a surf fishing rod for relatively cheap on the internet if you want, but if not, try bringing something longer than 7' if you have it. Spinning reels should ideally have pretty large spools for extra-long casts, so a lot of freshwater rigs don't work so well. You might consider buying one of those "Mega Cast" reels as a cheap stand-in. I'd say half the stuff I carry to the beach is stuff I wouldn't cry about destroying - sand and saltwater is rough on that stuff, so don't carry your favorite freshwater gear.

Get some mid-sized barrel and/or 3-way swivels to make some heavier live bait rigs. Heavy mono leaders (20-30#) or wire leader (single strand is generally recommended) are typically used, as EVERYTHING has teeth. If you are limited on bait storage, cut squid will catch a lot of things. I've tried sand fleas before, but I didn't have a pompano rig and they did me no good. If you are just trying to catch "a fish", then a typical bottom-fishing rig for catfish will work the same here.

I typically use a spinning rod with relatively light line, like 10-14 lb test, to help with casting. I have yet to hook anything very big from the surf, and most stuff you just play out with the drag. Braided line isn't a bad idea, because mono has a LOT of stretch on those long casts.

They make casting bubbles that you can use to partially fill with water and cast a LONG way that help if you want to cast to schooling fish like spanish mackerel. You basically put the bubble on the line like a slip cork, then put a glass bead on (to protect the line knot from slamming against the bubble), and then a barrel swivel. Tie a leader on the barrel swivel and attach a spoon, plastic straw and treble hook, or some other topwater with a lot of flash. Jerk retrieve like you are trying to keep it away from them (similar to fishing for skipjack).

Have fun and experiment with stuff. Look for dark water within eyesight of the beach (troughs) that will be travel corridors for fish.

Latest posts