Depressing

muddyboots

I went to my lease sunday morning and didnt hear nothing. Ive been in this lease for 18 years and this is the first time i have never heard nothing. It is sad. A property where hearing 10 birds a morning was the norm now you are lucky to hear two. Been just getting worse for the last 4 years. Kinda sad. Guess its time to find greener pastures.

gil1

I got trail cam pics. the other day, and they were still in their fall flocks. Here are some closeups to get you fired up.

DSC07379e.jpg

DSC07386e.jpg

DSC07424e.jpg

DSC07430e.jpg

DSC07435e.jpg

Lawrence

I went to my place Saturday morning too
and did not hear the first bird.
Then this morning as was leaving for work I heard 2 or 3 gobble
and this is right in town

I have had 4 years in a row of poor hatchings. I have about 25 percent of the birds I did 5 years ago. I hope this trend ends soon. I quit hunting last year because there simply wasn't enough birds. I was afraid to kill anymore.

gil1

Hillbilly Hunter said:
I have had 4 years in a row of poor hatchings. I have about 25 percent of the birds I did 5 years ago. I hope this trend ends soon. I quit hunting last year because there simply wasn't enough birds. I was afraid to kill anymore.

I guess we'll find out in a few weeks when they've all broken up and settled in.
I have 2 hunting leases. Interestingly, the one that is normally a slam dunk on birds was a complete bust last year. The one that usually sucks had lots more birds last year. I don't know what to think about that type of soft data.

PickettSFHunter

Hillbilly Hunter said:

Ditto man. I almost feel bad shooting one here now.

megalomaniac

gil1 said:
I don't know what to think about that type of soft data.

The data isn't soft, though... Kill numbers have been nosediving statewide over the past 3 years. Population IS down and will continue to decline under current liberal harvest regulations unless spring hatches improve.

I imposed a 2 bird limit on myself and those that hunt my properties several years ago. Even though we took 5 birds in the first 3 days of last years season (3 people), and I was done with the killing, I kept on hunting. Called in several other birds within gun range and just passed on them... which is just as fun to me.

Lawrence

megalomaniac said:
gil1 said:

The data isn't soft, though... Kill numbers have been nosediving statewide over the past 3 years. Population IS down and will continue to decline under current liberal harvest regulations unless spring hatches improve.

I imposed a 2 bird limit on myself and those that hunt my properties several years ago. Even though we took 5 birds in the first 3 days of last years season (3 people), and I was done with the killing, I kept on hunting. Called in several other birds within gun range and just passed on them... which is just as fun to me.
GOOD FOR YOU ON PASSING BIRDS
Hunters like to complain when the numbers are down but they still continue to blast away.

gil1

Lawrence said:
megalomaniac said:
gil1 said:

Hunters like to complain when the numbers are down but they still continue to blast away.

It's not exactly the same thing, but instead of passing up birds, I just started bow only a few years ago. Last year, I called 6 gobblers within shotgun range. 3 of those came within bow range. I didn't get a shot at any of them. I don't have to pass them up - they pass ME up! :D

megalomaniac

gil1 said:
Lawrence said:
megalomaniac said:
gil1 said:

It's not exactly the same thing, but instead of passing up birds, I just started bow only a few years ago. Last year, I called 6 gobblers within shotgun range. 3 of those came within bow range. I didn't get a shot at any of them. I don't have to pass them up - they pass ME up! :D

LOL!

I bowhunted for them several years ago and never cussed so much my entire life. I made myself a vow that year to never, ever, do that again :)

muddyboots

You know, whether it is caused by higher limits, poor hatches or that curve thing someone posted about the other day it just basically sucks. This property is 900 acres of pines, hardwoods and fields. As few as 5 years ago you could hear between 8 to 12 birds gobble any morning you went. Everytime you hunted you saw turkeys. Now you are lucky to hear one and can go two or three days and not see one. Its like they just vanished. this is where i learned to turkey hunt and it is just sad.

muddyboots

I personally think it is the limits. The places that have historically been good hunting - In other words the places people knew that there were turkeys there and got hunted alot are way down. The places that didnt used to have turkeys are up. Very weird.

8 POINTS OR BETTER

I think its the limit and the bad hatches. I only seen four jakes all of last season, and two the season before. For years we would have between 10 and 20 jakes on our farm each season. Most of the toms we have (less than a dozen) are over 4 years old, when they are gone we will be in bad shape. Even if we have a good hatch next year it will be two years before I hunt them. I use to hunt in MO back in the late 80's early 90's, I'll probably be hunting there some again next year.

Latest posts