Depressing

muddyboots

I've hunted basically same property for 30 years. I drove to mt lease today. Drove through lease and put out 3 cameras. Drove back home. In the good old days on this trip I'd seen 150 to 200 turkeys just on side of road and walking in woods. Today turkeys seen = 0. Sure is sad. I'm glad I got to experience the hunting when it was at its best. I feel sorry for new hunters. They don't know what good turkey hunting is. I don't know the reason. I suspect it's varmints because I find eaten eggs all spring. I sure wish we could fix it. Sure do!

deerhunter10

One of our best farms or I guess used to be best farms is again not getting hunted this year. I will say we had a decent hatch on it and I am seeing birds on it again probably enough to hunt and be ok but not taking the chance. Along with trapping there we had to do almost a 180 on our habitat management. We were more concerned about deer, took the numbers we always had for granted and dang near lost them. We now have stages of habitat on that farm trying to always have plenty of habitat in the 1st succesnal stage. Along with trapping and everything else. We let a lot of our thick stuff get to woody and turkeys didn't seem to be using it at all.

muddyboots

I remember in 'THE DAY' I could hear 10/15 gobbles in the morning, lucky now to hear one
Back in the day that was a good day. Best day I ever had I heard 24 gobblers in a morning. Now that is prolly not correct as they were moving. I was young and stupid and I was moving screwing up more than I did right. But an average morning was hear 8 to 10. Now a great morning is hear 4. Which don't get me wrong is still good but when you remember the good old days it's just sad. Or it is to me anyways!

I've hunted basically same property for 30 years. I drove to mt lease today. Drove through lease and put out 3 cameras. Drove back home. In the good old days on this trip I'd seen 150 to 200 turkeys just on side of road and walking in woods. Today turkeys seen = 0. Sure is sad. I'm glad I got to experience the hunting when it was at its best. I feel sorry for new hunters. They don't know what good turkey hunting is. I don't know the reason. I suspect it's varmints because I find eaten eggs all spring. I sure wish we could fix it. Sure do!
Same here unfortunately. At work though, they are everywhere.