Deer Shot

rsimms

I've never seen a photo that so clearly showed a healthy deer that had been definitely been shot. Whether it was a gun or bow, I don't know. But someone clearly put a projectile through her back this season. Wasn't me, but someone in vicinity of my place. They sure are tough critters.

deer_shot.jpg
deer_shot2.jpg

redblood

They are tough indeed. I've got a few trail cam pics of wounded deer that seem to be doing ok & healing. I've found two broadheads while skinning/butchering animals. They're pretty incredible.
i have found one.....and it was mine. That wasnt the amazing part. The amazing part is that he was a different farm, on a different road, over a mile away, 6 weeks after the initial shot.

Ski

i have found one.....and it was mine. That wasnt the amazing part. The amazing part is that he was a different farm, on a different road, over a mile away, 6 weeks after the initial shot.

It's crazy how they seem to just go on about their business as if nothing has happened. I've heard tale of people putting an arrow through a buck and it not even know it's hit, so it keeps on chasing the doe or making a scrape, then just plops over dead. Makes me wonder if there's a difference in how they feel pain and how we feel it. Heck if my back hurts I can't even hardly put my socks on. The pain & inflammation shuts my movement down. Not deer. Those things get hit in the spine and if not broken they might be temporarily paralyzed then get up and run off.

Speedwell-Hunter

I've never seen a photo that so clearly showed a healthy deer that had been definitely been shot. Whether it was a gun or bow, I don't know. But someone clearly put a projectile through her back this season. Wasn't me, but someone in vicinity of my place. They sure are tough critters.

View attachment 164525View attachment 164524
looks like a thru-n thru to the posterior thoracic spine area. very impressive.

BSK

We've had a couple of deer on my place get shot and survive. Two were later harvested. Bucks showed no indication in their gate or behavior that they had been previously shot. One had been shot through the neck with a 50-caliber maxiball. We trailed him for over a mile before losing the blood trail. He was shot three days later hot on the tail of an estrus doe. My daughter hit a doe high in the back with a 30-30. Knocked the doe flat, but after a few minutes, she got up and ran off. She disappeared for about a month, but then showed up feeding in food plots like nothing had happened. Huge exit wound above the spine. Another buck was hit with a 270 through the sternum. Got pictures of him later with a fist-sized hole at the bottom of his chest.

And although it wasn't one of us that made the shot, I killed a doe years ago that had an under-developed hip. Upon cleaning her I found a broadhead that had been shot from a high angle and had gone right down through her pelvis. The broadhead - blades intact - was lodged in her birth canal. Obviously, she had not had a fawn in a couple years, and I feel sorry for any buck that tried to breed her!

Latest posts