Deer movement / Wind??

Was wondering some thoughts on the deer movement this a.m with the wind blowing like it is.. 14mph S winds and only suppose to get worse where I'm at.. Headed out to try my luck anyways.

bigtex

In my area the wind does put a damper on deer movement. The deer are very nervous with everything moving around and will hunker down.
When I hunt in the wind I have a few spots picked out that I know the deer will be heading to. One of my best spots is a semi open field that deer will bed down in. When and if the wind dies down they will usually get up and move about some.
I have noticed that the hour before dark the wind "usually" dies down.

Artemas

BSK had a nice graph and explanation on his research with wind and buck movement. If memory serves me correct 15+ mph resulted in more sightings of mature bucks. Maybe he can shed light on it again. I would think that with real high winds their senses aren't nearly as usable. The won't smell scents to much, can't hear as well and with everything moving you could imagine that it would be much easier to sneak up on it without getting busted. I killed a 3.5yr old 2yrs ago and it was saying 16 gusting to 22. He was just meandering around.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Saw four bucks this morning, all skittish as all get out. One was one I have seen now and again for two years. Got to 41-yards on him but no way to take that shot in this wind. Maybe I'll see him again.

Did get closer on this one. She went 20-yards and fell where you see her. I would not go back this afternoon for something shiney.

P1010018-1.jpg

BSK

Artemas said:
BSK had a nice graph and explanation on his research with wind and buck movement. If memory serves me correct 15+ mph resulted in more sightings of mature bucks. Maybe he can shed light on it again. I would think that with real high winds their senses aren't nearly as usable. The won't smell scents to much, can't hear as well and with everything moving you could imagine that it would be much easier to sneak up on it without getting busted. I killed a 3.5yr old 2yrs ago and it was saying 16 gusting to 22. He was just meandering around.

My data shows that as wind speed increases, buck sightings decrease--with one exception. Once wind speeds become VERY high, buck sightings increase, although almost all of those sightings involve bucks running scared or running out into open fields.

bowriter

R.I.P.
BSK said:
Artemas said:

My data shows that as wind speed increases, buck sightings decrease--with one exception. Once wind speeds become VERY high, buck sightings increase, although almost all of those sightings involve bucks running scared or running out into open fields.

You got that right BSK. That is exactly what they do. They have enough sense to get out of the noisy timber.

droptyne

By time i made it into the woods this evening the wind had calmed down considerably. During the last hour and a half or so it had nearly stopped. Deer activity was extremely slow though ... just one spike showed up shortly after 6. That made a count of 4 deer seen over the weekend and 0 arrows shot .

Latest posts