Deer meat allergy!

Crosshairy

I talked to a guy at work recently who says he has gotten serious stomach problems every time he eats venison (whether he knew what it was or not).

I thought this was some bogus excuse to "avoid eating bambi" or something, but after doing some research it actually sounds legit. Folks are saying you can develop allergies to certain types of proteins.

A few folks on another outdoors website were discussing this, and they talked about how they break out in hives if their skin touches deer blood while field dressing. Another guy mentioned the same thing happening with squirrels.

So there you have it, folks - just one more thing to be thankful that you don't have to deal with!

Bayou Buck

I get a mild itchy rash where deer blood stays on me for a little while. If I were allergic to eating it though, I think I should have died by now.

pressfit

One of my church buds that helps me process deer on Monday nights is allergic to deer blood.. he always wears gloves and even then sometimes has to take a benedril

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Friend of mine that wanted "all the deer I would give him" last year showed up Thanksgiving morning to pick up the 5 we had in the back yard.

He told me later that while cutting one of them up his eyes swelled shut and he started sneezing like crazy.

Strange for sure.

280longshot

I really can't see how one would be allergic to deer blood, but I know one of my friends that is allergic to deer hair.
I just thought he was just slow at gutting deer but I watched him on day, with gloves and all.
I had to ask him what's with the gloves and he explained that he was allergic to the hair. Of course I had to make a few jokes about that. Ha.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
Wonder how many of these allergy effects are due to the poison ivy deer like so much ??I've watched them eat it and walk through patches of it.

Latest posts