Deer hide is drying out and tearing

JimFromTN

Someone gave me a deer hide that the edges around the hide seem to be dried out and I can tear it with my hands. Is there anything that I can do to keep it from getting worse?

AT Hiker

Most likely not. You could try applying tanning oil (any major supplier brand) and seeing if it will bring a little softness to it. Might not be worth the money to purchase the oil though. Skin so soft might do something for it if you have any. Dried skin is really hard to work with, basically you really need to rehydrate it and start all over again.

Got a picture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JimFromTN

Its out at my property in the country. I can post something this weekend. It sucks if I can't. Its a piebald deer hide. Can I glue it a a board or something so I can hang it?

AT Hiker

You could hang it directly from the hide, I think it would look better. Hole punch a couple small holes and hang, those heavy duty glue strips might even work too.

AT Hiker

JimFromTN":394oyiyy said:
I did that and the hide tore at the holes.

Oh Wow! Yea, hate to say not much can be done...or at least that's what it sounds like.

Try those 3mm double sided sticker things that my wife hangs crap on from the wall. Cheap experiment, I guess.