Decoys?

Mud Creek

Pretty dumb questions I know but when setting up a spread do you want a variety of ducks
or 1 specific species? Can they tell a difference or is it how you set them up that they notice?

MickThompson

I usually set what I'm seeing in number and species, but I've had good success on young birds (early season wood ducks) with a goldeneye in the spread too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bgoodman30

They can tell the difference and even though teal come in at Mach 1 they often land on the teal decoys. Depends on where your hunting and species killed there. I like pintails too because they show up good from long distance. (White)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Crosshairy

We had a pretty big spread in the middle of a big timber hole for the last 3 days of the season, and I was amused at how accurately wood ducks would buzz in and land with the 3 or 4 woodie decoys we had out.

Not to say that they won't come in to an all-mallard spread, but it confirmed with me how they actually look at them and discern the differences.

I like having a little bit of variety to the spread to help match the birds in the area. Plus, we need to do our part to support the duck decoy industry. :tu:

Mud Creek

Wanted to revisit this thread with a few more questions. How do you know when you have too many decoys or not enough? What will too many do to birds that are working? Cause them to overshoot where they land? Pass on by? How about if you don't have enough decoys out?

Also does anyone use those feather lite inflatable decoys? I'm not sure how they would hold up being carried outside the boat but looks like once they are in water even the slightest breeze would give you plenty of movement on the water.

BlackEagle1

So as far as numbers of decoys go everyone has an opinion. The location and plan of attack would be key players. If it's a place you can rest and let birds rest/build up before shooting then you likely won't need to many, but would want to pick up every day (a cornfield for example). If it's a permanent setup trying to target Migrators then numbers maybe king. My normal game is Migrators and I run a large (500+) decoy spread. My boat spreads 5 dozen battleships when I hunt backwater.
Ducks do sometimes land wide of the decoys esp in fields in my experience. You can move your gear to adjust but depending on the 8000 variables that are present each day you'll have to be flexible.
I suggest buying decoys that are a little more durable than what you listed.
To your original post I like diversity in my spread but it's majority mallards with black ducks and pintails. Nice ball of teal always looks good. I don't see a need for much in the way of wood ducks unless your targeting them.

kopter doktor

Mud Creek":liifq17x said:
Pretty dumb questions I know but when setting up a spread do you want a variety of ducks
or 1 specific species? Can they tell a difference or is it how you set them up that they notice?
I like species,besides pintails and gadwalls,mallards. and also teal..another species i use are canvas backs,and black ducks.also what use are Canada geese.about 2 to 3 doz.

Polar Kraft

Mix of species for sure. For the area I hunt 90-95% of everything we see is mallards but I think the variation in size and color gives a more natural look, especially when most people are using pure mallard decoys. Throw in some white that can be seen from long distance and it can be killer

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Latest posts