decoys

Big Boy Killer

what luck do ya'll have with decoys, begining of season around 1st of april or end of season when most hens have been bred.when i use decoys and the hen comes in with the gobblers,they see the decoys and get nervous and leave and the gobblers go with them.i will be trying something new this year the pretty boy and pretty girl."oh yeah"

tntaxidermist

I use to use decoys when I first started but rarely if ever now. I mainly stopped because I got tired of fooling with them. If I need to move quickly I don't want to mess with getting my decoys. If I am hunting field birds I may bring one out but that's about it.

4onaside

LA man said:
if there are hens around they will lead the gobblers away from the decoys, so be careful when u use them
Borrowing a line from Lawrence of Arabia, "nothing is written" replying to "it is written".lol Last season a hen led 5 gobblers in line behind her right into my decoy. Hens coming to my calling and decoy have killed several of my gobblers for me. However,one hen did leave, but the gobbler refused to go with her, continuing to come in and court my fake. A mistake!

Setterman

There are no rules or guarantees.

With that being said, I will trust my woodsmanship, calling, and knowledge of turkeys before I sit behind a replica of a turkey.

Honestly, I have no issues with folks who choose to use them, but I personally choose to not own one, or ever hunt with one. In my opinion the juice isn't worth the squeeze.

4onaside

Setterman said:
There are no rules or guarantees.

With that being said, I will trust my woodsmanship, calling, and knowledge of turkeys before I sit behind a replica of a turkey.

Honestly, I have no issues with folks who choose to use them, but I personally choose to not own one, or ever hunt with one. In my opinion the juice isn't worth the squeeze.
You do use a shotgun don't you capt? Isn't that taking unfair advantage? A slingshot would be more sporting. lol Seriously though, with me its not JUST the replica of a turkey in and of itself, but a fair knowledge of where I can expect the birds to be, the positioning of my ambush based on that presumed knowledge, and knowing when to call and when to shut up. But I also feel that a deke makes the gobbler see what he is expecting to see after he hears the calls, and I'm going to give myself every advantage that I can, or eliminate as many of the obstacles between me and the bird as I can, and I think that a decoy accomplishes that. As you said, different strokes for different folks.

Latest posts