Decoy weight ideas

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok so last year I made some "H" weights that I can string up with a lot of extra line and as the water comes up they will un-wind and I don't have to worry about my decoys floating off.
I am not sure I will have the time or resources to pour as many more as I will need this year.
What's the old timers best solutions out there? :D

Levee Jumper

I don't think there is a good solution to the water varying from 3' to 10' and back to 3' a couple times throughout the year with 800-100 decoys. I'd like to magically get my hands on around 800 fishing YO-YO's.

I like double weights alright. I use 10-12' strings with a 12-16 oz weight on bottom and then half hitch a slip knot around a railroad spike about 4' from the decoy. The remaining 6-8' of line between the weights gets coiled around the railroad spike. All of these get a heavy duty snap so they aren't beating up the decoys during transit/storage.

Setting them out right is critical. Ideally the two weights need to be placed about 6" apart with no slack between them so the spike won't get caught up with the other weight when the decoy and spike starts rising. Once the water goes back down you will need to wrap the line back around the spike.

The spike will make a standard decoy tip a little during high water if you have them tied in the front or back but they sit about right if tied in the middle. I personally think good motion of being tied in the front during low water is better than a bit of a tip during high water.

IMO, if you have the time, letting the strings out on the rise and rolling them back up after the fall is the best way to keep a good looking spread, even if you have to pick half of them up to do it.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I didn't understand what you meant earlier about double weight but I get it now.
Thanks !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

woodyard

RUGER":1svzod3d said:
Ok so last year I made some "H" weights that I can string up with a lot of extra line and as the water comes up they will un-wind and I don't have to worry about my decoys floating off.
I am not sure I will have the time or resources to pour as many more as I will need this year.

I can probably pour or make once you get your plan together. Got to get into this duck thing. I should have time since I am in retirement. :lol:

Cache

2-Step Enabled
We use bricks when hunting off the mississippi. Bust one in half and wrap it around.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
woodyard":3axk6059 said:
RUGER":3axk6059 said:

I can probably pour or make once you get your plan together. Got to get into this duck thing. I should have time since I am in retirement. :lol:

That's a good idea. :D

BlackEagle1

Man that's a lot of potted meat :moon: I used the large mouthwash cups, cement, and fencing staples for a string loop.

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
For use in the draw blinds since there is not a lot of current, I have used 4 oz dixie cups of concrete with a loop made from 6 inches of insulation support wire(the stuff to hold the sheets up in a wall), or just a piece of wire coat hanger.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
BlackEagle1":2nlrczzv said:
Man that's a lot of potted meat :moon: I used the large mouthwash cups, cement, and fencing staples for a string loop.
That's what I always have done too.
I was looking for different ideas for weights that would let more string out as the water came up.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Levee Jumper":191tt2bc said:
I'd like to magically get my hands on around 800 fishing YO-YOs

it.

Woo wee you and me both !
My buddy and I spent HOURS searching the internet looking for a wholesaler one year
May look into that again.
I would pay $2 each for them lol

Cache

2-Step Enabled
kopter doktor":3mzeprsh said:
have you tried using a net for your decoys,just anchor at 4 corners.with either bricks or boat anchors.

Sounds like a fustercluck just waiting to happen

Latest posts