Decoy Question

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
I know this is a matter of personal opinion and experience, but I want to hear yours.

Does it matter if all your floating decoys are "basic," $40 per dozen with nary a flocked head in sight, as long as you also put in some water action (e.g. jerk rig or pulsator)? Or is there really a reason beyond personal satisfaction/marketing to get more expensive floaters?

Right now I'm inclined to go the route of cheap decoys with water movement.

WilcoKen

I know this is a matter of personal opinion and experience, but I want to hear yours.

Does it matter if all your floating decoys are "basic," $40 per dozen with nary a flocked head in sight, as long as you also put in some water action (e.g. jerk rig or pulsator)? Or is there really a reason beyond personal satisfaction/marketing to get more expensive floaters?

Right now I'm inclined to go the route of cheap decoys with water movement.
With the situation on the horizon for public land hunting in TN, I wouldn't spend much money on decoys right now. If you rely on public land hunting there's a big chance you won't have a place to hunt much next year. I'd cheap out until we know more.

Last edited:

TNGunsmoke

2-Step Enabled
Just a personal preference, in a big spread that stays out all season, I use a bunch of cheap ones out from the blind and as many big black jugs or killer fillers as we can come up with, with some good ones in closer. For a small spread I'm gonna pick up daily, I like good looking decoys.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
With the situation on the horizon for public land hunting in TN, I wouldn't spend much money on decoys right now. If you rely on public land hunting there's a big chance you won't have a place to hunt much next year. I'd cheap out until we know more.

I've not read up on it completely yet. You're talking about them wanting to reform the blind draws?

WilcoKen

I've not read up on it completely yet. You're talking about them wanting to reform the blind draws?
Yes. It's not set in stone but lots of things pointing to a computer draw where you apply for limited hunt days (3) if you even get drawn at all. Far different from the current system of getting the blind you draw (or sign on to) for 60 days. The price of a duck stamp and appropriate licenses is hardly worth 3 days of public hunting much less the cost of a dozen high quality decoys. Of course if you can find a private place then it's worth some expense on decoys etc. IMO. But not for 3 days of public land hunting under the potential new system IMHO.

BlackEagle1

The problem with cheap decoys is they tend to leak and the paint is usually terrible. That being said some expensive ones leak outta the box too (Dakotas). I'm a higdon fan but GHG makes some tough decoys for the money. Don't let them get ya Down talking about the possible changes. Your odds of having a blind for 60 days is extremely thin so the new deal might even play to your hand. Good luck!

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
The problem with cheap decoys is they tend to leak and the paint is usually terrible. That being said some expensive ones leak outta the box too (Dakotas). I'm a higdon fan but GHG makes some tough decoys for the money. Don't let them get ya Down talking about the possible changes. Your odds of having a blind for 60 days is extremely thin so the new deal might even play to your hand. Good luck!
Something that confuses me is that Avery and GHG seem to be the same thing, at least sometimes. Not every set of "Avery" decoys appears to have GHG in the description. Or maybe Rogers' sporting goods site was messed up.

Smashdn

G&H. They're tough as nails and good enough to kill ducks over. You don't have to baby them and they will last a long time with rough treatment. Made in USA too.

Latest posts