Deaf gobblers

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Ok so you are in the edge of the woods watching a field.
Two longbeards come out in the field.

You call to them and they act deaf.

Too far from light purring and leaf scratching but you do it anyway.
Yelp to them, nothing.

They just keep traveling the same way and never check up.

What do you do?

Setterman

Go find a bird that is receptive to calling. I've seen the described scenario a hundred times over the years, and generally they are non-dominant birds who will not usually be receptive to hen talk for fear of being pounded by the dominant bird.

With turkey populations as high as they are now, and my love for working gobbling birds and despising sneaky silent birds and ambushing I will leave those birds everytime to try and find a receptive bird.

woodsman87

I would try to circle around and get in front, unless I could hear another one gobbling alot on property I can hunt.

Not everybody has millions of turkeys on their land and have to hunt the birds that are there.

KANATI McD

woodsman87 said:
I would try to circle around and get in front, unless I could hear another one gobbling alot on property I can hunt.

Not everybody has millions of turkeys on their land and have to hunt the birds that are there.

^^^ This

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Yeah sneaking around would work, and does.
Many times they are headed towards the property line and no way to get in front of them without being seen before running out of property. :(

Probably the most aggravating part of turkey hunting I have run into.
When they are with hens and go deaf, I understand that, but when they are alone and want nothing to do with anything that drives me crazy. :D

Bullfrog

Every turkey has it's day to die. I wouldn't pressure them too much if they won't respond "today". Go find one that will.

Latest posts