Day at the Range

Atchman2

So I have a cheap muzzleloader. However I have killed 11 deer with it. :) Most shots I take are less than 50 yards. It is just because I hunt thick stuff. I was shooting my Powerbelt bullets yesterday and they were all over the place. Maybe why I missed a deer last year. So I tried some basic 250 grain Traditions Hollowpoint Sabots. I normally use pellets, so two pellets and the Traditions Sabot with Federal 309 primers. First shot bullseye at 50 yards, next shot bullseye, then I gave it to my friend, bullseye; I think I've found my new load!

GMB54

Please tell me you are not using these primers with pellets
76526.jpg

Hopefully you used these
3792.jpg

GMB54

The blue box (Fed209A) are much hotter primers and much better suited to Triple7 pellets. Either should ignite Pyro pellets fine.

I dont like Powerbelts mainly because the crazy price for a plated bullet but i never had any problems getting them to group. One of my 45s was a tack driver with the PB Plat 45cal 300gr. They would be a ok bullet for maybe half the price or less with loads less than 100gr of powder. They tend to fragment/pancake with hot charges.

Atchman2

My issue is loading a second or third round. I almost need a hammer to load them! Not sure if that is normal.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

ROVERBOY

MUP":3fe9hnnp said:
I've not been able to get PB bullets to hold a group from my ML's either. But shoot a 260 gr lead conical and black sabot and have done well with them over the years.
I've not tried Power Belts yet. I've got some that I've had for a few years but, never tried them.

fairchaser

Glad you found something that works for now. ML are very temperamental. They seem to be possessed sometimes. One time they shoot well and the next time not. I think it's got something to do with plastic and hot barrels.

Latest posts