CZ 457 with Leupold 3-9x40 Rimfire

Displaced_Vol

Can't get it zeroed. Can't really get close. I'm about 6" low & right at 25 yards. Move up to 10 and I'm 5" low & right. Back at 35 still around 6" low & right. It's on a Warne 721 mid height. All looks dead nuts on in the vise.

I've taken everything off, moved around all components of the mount and still the same result. I'm thinking back the dials back to the mid point, try and fix my windage and then maybe try some lower height rings to help the elevation? If I understand right, with my elevation maxed out, it limits the windage adjustment? So if I bring elevation back down I should have more adjustability right to left?

Rifles and scopes are not my strong suit. I love this set up if I could get it to zero! Open to any and all suggestions!!

Displaced_Vol

If this is a new setup, have you made sure the barrel screws are correctly torqued?
Yep both new. No, I actually haven't checked the barrel screws. I assume i can find the correct amount of torque on CZ's website.
Just so my simple mind can be certain, you mean the two on the bottom of the rifle that I would remove if changing barrels. I do have the combo version that comes with a .17 hmr barrel also.
I've got a fat torque wrench and I can't recall exactly what I torqued to but I followed specs from the rings & Leupold.

Displaced_Vol

When I can, I'll get it out and get pics of the setup, you all may see something obvious but I can't.
These are 2 piece rings, 2 screws per side and the gap is not even on all 4 connections. I figured that would be an issue but the research I did online said that wasn't a problem.

Tenntrapper

Yep both new. No, I actually haven't checked the barrel screws. I assume i can find the correct amount of torque on CZ's website.
Just so my simple mind can be certain, you mean the two on the bottom of the rifle that I would remove if changing barrels. I do have the combo version that comes with a .17 hmr barrel also.
I've got a fat torque wrench and I can't recall exactly what I torqued to but I followed specs from the rings & Leupold.
Im referring to the 2 screws that are holding the barrel on. Also, if/when you decide to remove/change barrels...loosen the mag well screws.

Tenntrapper

Thanks. I'll check this out next.
Also...Ive not heard of any problems with the 457s, but I once bought a 527 and the rail was milled on a slight angle. At 100, I couldnt even get on paper. Filled out warranty form, returned on their dime. Within about a week, I received a brand new rifle. Their customer service/warranty is second to none.

Displaced_Vol

Also...Ive not heard of any problems with the 457s, but I once bought a 527 and the rail was milled on a slight angle. At 100, I couldnt even get on paper. Filled out warranty form, returned on their dime. Within about a week, I received a brand new rifle. Their customer service/warranty is second to none.
It is a sweet rifle for sure. My first CZ, but my FIL has a couple and they'll drive tacks.
I'll eventually get to the bottom of it, thanks for the help!

Displaced_Vol

Action screws on my CZ 457 Varmint Trainer perform best at 25in/lbs of torque. Have you tried to shoot at 50 yards to see where it's at?
Not yet, 35 was my longest attempt.
I'll throw some from 50 before I change scopes out or check those screws

MUP

Not yet, 35 was my longest attempt.
I'll throw some from 50 before I change scopes out or check those screws
Action screw torque likely won't have that much effect of poi, but for those CZ 457s it's the best and most recommended setting. There may be an issue with that scope being able to dial down to that short of distance is what I'm thinking.

Hduke86

If you still can't get it zeroed then start back at optical center of your scope. If your windage of far right you'll run out of elevation sooner and same with if your elevation is high your run out of windage. Figure out how much MOA you have in elevation and windage and cut in half. That will put you optical center on the scope. I make sure mine are all like that before I even put them on my rifle.

Displaced_Vol

Major breakthrough today after work.

The short version is my dumb ass didn't realize until today that my rings were made to fit directly onto both 3/8" & 11mm dovetails. They come from factory preset for 3/8". The CZ has an 11mm dovetail.

I had watched videos & read online before I ever put them on & that was never mentioned or I didn't register it.
but I found the right video today that showed how to flip one side of the base to make it fit properly onto an 11mm.

Prior to that I had done most everything you all mentioned. Checked it from 50, checked the action screws that hold the barrel, tried another 1" scope, rec entered the zero on the scope. I even changed the barrel out to try the original scope with the .17 hmr. For some reason I decided to go back to the internet before I shot it again & learned what I had done wrong. Pulled the mount off and remounted with the correct setting & headed out with the .17. The difference was unbelievable. I still need to go get a good shooting bench to really dial it in but I got it around 1-2" from 35-50 yards shooting basically off hand.

Side note I love shooting the .17. Looking into its ballistics and drops and what not it seems like it's gonna be a lot of fun. I'm ready to find some bushy tails.

Thank you all for the feedback and expertise.

ImThere

Major breakthrough today after work.

The short version is my dumb ass didn't realize until today that my rings were made to fit directly onto both 3/8" & 11mm dovetails. They come from factory preset for 3/8". The CZ has an 11mm dovetail.

I had watched videos & read online before I ever put them on & that was never mentioned or I didn't register it.
but I found the right video today that showed how to flip one side of the base to make it fit properly onto an 11mm.

Prior to that I had done most everything you all mentioned. Checked it from 50, checked the action screws that hold the barrel, tried another 1" scope, rec entered the zero on the scope. I even changed the barrel out to try the original scope with the .17 hmr. For some reason I decided to go back to the internet before I shot it again & learned what I had done wrong. Pulled the mount off and remounted with the correct setting & headed out with the .17. The difference was unbelievable. I still need to go get a good shooting bench to really dial it in but I got it around 1-2" from 35-50 yards shooting basically off hand.

Side note I love shooting the .17. Looking into its ballistics and drops and what not it seems like it's gonna be a lot of fun. I'm ready to find some bushy tails.

Thank you all for the feedback and expertise.
See post #3. Exactly why I asked! Glad you got it going.

Latest posts