• Help Support TNDeer:

cva optima help

pseshooter300

Here is the deal i got a cva optima in December. Just got it ready to shoot today. Set it up with 777 100 grain pellets with 250 grain hornady sst bullets with winchester 777 primer. The groups were not impressive at best 5-6 inch groups. Any advice to shrink the groups down? At a 100 yards it will group in a pie plate capable of killing a deer but not the acuracy i want. I was shooting off a lead sled

I quit using the pellets due to accuracy issues. Do you have any loose powder? If so, you might want to try some and see if your groupings tighten up.

You could go to 777 powder or Pyrodex and still use the breech plug and primers you have. Any chance someone close to you has grained powder you could try to see the difference?

One of the things granular powder gives you is the ability to experiment with different volumes (90; 100, 110, etc) to see which amount your gun shoots best. To just go with 100 grain pellets might be what is causing your accuracy issues.

I bought my Optima in January and went to the range for the first time 2 weeks ago. I got it sighted in at 50 and immediatelly shot a 1.5 inch 5-shot group at 100. I was shooting my old reliable combo of 90 grains of Pyrodex and 295 grain Powerbelts. I've killed dozens of deer with this combo out of an old CVA Firebolt. I was originally just going to shoot the rest of my Pyrodex and Powerbelts up, then experiment with other bullets and powder. But, why fix something that isn't broke. I think with a little range time, I can make this group smaller.

Some people hate Powerbelts, some people love them.

i shoot 80g 777 and 250g sst great combo the pellets were a good thought when they came out but not good for accuracy loose powder is the only way to go

if that has the red low drag sabot, up the pellet load for a max load of 150gr pellets.

The sst/red low drag sabots load pretty smooth and easy, easy loading sabots in a cva bore need to be pushed hard with a healthy dose of powder.

Also, run a 3mm drill bit and with your fingers, spin it and cut the carbon out of the breech plug. Do this every 5 to 6 shots.

Also make sure you run a damp patch down the bore after each shot to remove the hard crud down towards the face of the breech plug.
bp_diagram.jpg

bp_status.jpg

I may try some of the barnes but what are the diference in the MZ and T-EZ bullets? Is there one better than the other? Thought about the 290 grain t-ez

leadsled isnt the problem, ive shot off a lead sled for years with excellent accuracy.

Your biggest issue right now is the sabots.

I looked through my videos and i used 2 T7 magnum pellets with the 250gr SST sabots. May give that a try along with the winchester w209 primers and swab between shots.

pseshooter300 said:
I may try some of the barnes but what are the diference in the MZ and T-EZ bullets? Is there one better than the other? Thought about the 290 grain t-ez

Good thought. The 290 is what mine likes :grin:

Latest posts

Back