CVA Optima Elite .270 range report

UTGrad

I hooked up with a CVA Optima Elite combo .50 caliber muzzleloader with the .270 barrel and stock included. Both of the barrels are made by Bergara barrels of Spain with consult by Ed Shilen. I took the .270 to the range yesterday and went through the break-in process with 130 grain Hornady SST factory loads. I matched this set up with a silver 3x9 Nikon Prostaff with Durasight mounts and bases. I cleaned with a Boresnake between each shot for the first ten shots, then cleaned between the last two groups of five. I did not get a group better than 2 inches, but I was in a time crunch and wasn't letting the barrel cool longer than five minutes.

Went back today with a box of Hornady 140 grain SST; Fusion 130 grain, and Federal Vital Shok 130 grain Nosler ballistic tip. The barrel finally started to punch some good groups after the fourth group of three shots. I was able to let the barrel cool between shots and I ran a Boresnake through twice between each group.

Results: two 1" groups at 100 yards, one 1.5" group with the Federal Vital Shok 130 grain Nosler ballistic tip. I am sighted in at 1.5" high at 100. I haven't shot the .50 caliber yet, but will probably hold off till next year since rifle season is all that is left and I really don't want to clean up anymore Triple Seven! lol

I recommend the Optima Elite for anyone in the market for a muzzleloader/rifle combo. This combo cost $599.00 at Academy. It is the Mossy Oak thumbhole stock with stainless stock and barrels in the .50 caliber and .270. I am very glad of my purchase.

Hook1

Good to hear U like the rifled barrel,,,got my 308 barrel today,,,will work on breaking it in tomorrow after the kids open presents :) ,,,if U haven't shot the 50cal yet try the Hrndy 300 grn SST's,,,mine really seems to like them,,,I'm pushing them with 100grns of pellets.

UTGrad

Hook1 said:
Good to hear U like the rifled barrel,,,got my 308 barrel today,,,will work on breaking it in tomorrow after the kids open presents :) ,,,if U haven't shot the 50cal yet try the Hrndy 300 grn SST's,,,mine really seems to like them,,,I'm pushing them with 100grns of pellets.

Thanks, I am going to start with 300 grain Harvester Scorpion PT Gold first in front of 100 grains FFG 777 loose. Please let us know how it shoots.

UTGrad

Update:

Went to the range today to confirm accuracy. First shot was five inches high at 100 yards (ouch), next two were close to bulls eye. Next group was about three inches. Removed scope and rings and my Durasight base needed to be tightened. I ran a few patches through and a bore brush, reinstalled scope and rings, and shot a 1 inch and 2 inch group then went home. I think I might have a shooter, but it likes a clean barrel.

Latest posts