Cutting a barrel down?

ratsnakeboogy

I have an old inline I picked up for not much, and I would like to try to cut a couple inches of of it and try to recrown it myself. I don't have a lathe, but people say it's not that hard to do with a few tools from midway or brownells.

Any idea what I need to play around with this project?

FULLDRAWXX75

A chop saw, a round nosed deburring tool, a drill press, a magnifying glass and a very small file ....................

FDXX75

I removed a polychoke off the end of a Browning A-5 with a hacksaw, dressed the end of the barrel, drilled and tapped it to reattach the front sight. It shoots Remington slugs in under 2" groups at 100yds all day long.

Tiny

ratsnakeboogy said:
Larry seems like a real nice guy, I just wish he lived next door so I could use his stuff without having to buy it. :)

I think I need counseling anyway, I think stuff up to do to guns and I have to buy tools to do it with. My wife says I need an intervention. :grin:

Dittos :D

FULLDRAWXX75

Rat,

a piece of angle iron and vise grips will take care of the jig part. I would wrap the barrel with one layer of duct tape to protect the finish first, then place a small piece of leather under the lower jaw of the vise grip where it contacted the barrel as well.

The crowning reamer you may have to purchase.

FDXX75

FULLDRAWXX75

ratsnakeboogy said:
Sounds doable, define chopsaw a little better for me. Any particular blade, etc.? This muzzleloader barrel is thick.

Thanks,

Don

One for cutting metal with, just like a carpenters chop saw but for metal. Composite blade, or a band saw with lots of cutting fluid.

I like the method shown in the video above, simpler

FDXX75

FULLDRAWXX75

Rat,

I checked Brownell's, they did not list one for a .50 cal, but had one for 5/8"(I don't think it will fit in the .50 barrel)

They are not cheap..................@ $150.00

FDXX75

ratsnakeboogy

tndrbstr said:
I'm guessing with a muzzy that reaming the crown wouldn't be that critical anyways..I bet just counter sinking it with a 45 degree counter bore bit and lapping it would work just fine...

If I can't find the tool reasonably I will try that.

Anyone know where to get a hand-brace drill?

FULLDRAWXX75

ratsnakeboogy said:
Anyone know where to get a hand-brace drill?

Any hardware story should have them, I bet I have tow or three hanging around in my workshop. Before you run out and buy one, remember most of them are for a three sided drill shaft, not a square or round.

FDXX75