Cumberland

woodyard

Anyone ever fish the Cumberland below Wolf Creek dam? I am wondering if there is enough water for a heavy flat bottom boat during no generation to move around on it much. Got some buddies thinking about a trip there.

scn

I wouldn't want to be on the Cumby in a big flat bottom boat unless the generation was pretty strong. You MIGHT be able to go downstream for a takeout with a little dragging through some shoals. But, IMO, the likelihood of making it upstream on a low flow would be a mess.

Setterman

scn":1s1e6c9c said:
I wouldn't want to be on the Cumby in a big flat bottom boat unless the generation was pretty strong. You MIGHT be able to go downstream for a takeout with a little dragging through some shoals. But, IMO, the likelihood of making it upstream on a low flow would be a mess.
I agree, areas upstream of helms would be a nightmare. Heck you couldn't launch at helms. If you put in at Winfrey's you could fish a little up or downstream but that's it. Bakerton, you have a little bit upstream but that's it, downstream is a no go. In burkesville you could go a 1/2 mile or so in either direction.

With private access in the right stretch you could potentially have several miles, but better know the river or go super slow. The trees in the slow stretches are deadly and will punch straight through a hull.

Good to see you today SCN! Thanks for taking all my money, love the new reel

woodyard

Thanks, all. I will pass on the info to them. They were mainly thinking of a fall trip which usually means lower water most places.

I think I will just stick to the White where I know most of the rocks by name.

woodyard

Ruger, I think the "green rock" was before you ever went over there. It has since been covered with gravel with one of the floods. It was down below Lindseys and it was mostly fiberglass green on top. When water was running lower you could see it underneath the surface and it had been hit by probably every rental boat and nonrental that used the river. It was on the running up side after you made the good drifts under power lines and down.
One of my favorites. Well known through out the area and still whopped all the time.

catman529

How far up the Cumberland you gotta be to not be able to launch a boat? Where I fish there are barges 3 wide going up the river.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Displaced_Vol

catman529":c50al8t4 said:
How far up the Cumberland you gotta be to not be able to launch a boat? Where I fish there are barges 3 wide going up the river.

I'm certainly no expert, but if I understand correctly there are some shallow spots below the dam when they aren't pushing water out. You can probably launch at several launches any time of year, you just may not be able to go very far with an outboard if there isn't water coming out of wolf creek dam.

Now if you're talking the Cumberland above Lake Cumberland that's a whole other ball game and you can find some really fun water there-

catman529

Displaced_Vol":1qvi1e7y said:
catman529":1qvi1e7y said:

I'm certainly no expert, but if I understand correctly there are some shallow spots below the dam when they aren't pushing water out. You can probably launch at several launches any time of year, you just may not be able to go very far with an outboard if there isn't water coming out of wolf creek dam.

Now if you're talking the Cumberland above Lake Cumberland that's a whole other ball game and you can find some really fun water there-
I'm talking the Cumberland from Cordell Hull down to cheatham. That's where I'm familiar with and nowhere is it too shallow to run an outboard. Even with the dams not letting any water out there's always some deeper water.

WTM

catman529":2yjqj7ub said:
Displaced_Vol":2yjqj7ub said:
catman529":2yjqj7ub said:

I'm talking the Cumberland from Cordell Hull down to cheatham. That's where I'm familiar with and nowhere is it too shallow to run an outboard. Even with the dams not letting any water out there's always some deeper water.

woodyard is talking about wolf creek dam at cumberland lake, where the cumberland river begins. i was going to try it last year but chickened out. supposed to be some big trout in there.

Displaced_Vol

Yeah that's what I was referencing too because that was the section the thread was started about... but anyway.
The Cumberland is a long river. Lots of cool spots and history along the way.

Anyway, the section below Lake Cumberland and Wolf Creek dam is a gem. Beautiful part of the world and from what I hear, you're right WTN, some excellent trout & big stripers too.

catman529

Displaced_Vol":u3s01csk said:
Yeah that's what I was referencing too because that was the section the thread was started about... but anyway.
The Cumberland is a long river. Lots of cool spots and history along the way.

Anyway, the section below Lake Cumberland and Wolf Creek dam is a gem. Beautiful part of the world and from what I hear, you're right WTN, some excellent trout & big stripers too.
I may have to make a trip that way this summer

Latest posts