crawfish holes?

catman529

those crawfish that make holes in the ground outside of the creek bank. Any way to catch em? Seems like they're always hiding except for a couple in the creek at night. I recall looking with a flashlight last year in the middle of the night but they were holed up just out of reach. Are they possible to catch somehow? I imagine an above the ground trap wouldn't do much.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
I used to walk up to them with a flashlight.
You can see them sitting in the front of their holes.
Have someone hold the light and you slip up behind them (the crawfish) and slip a shovel into the ground, effectively blocking their reverse escape.
Then just pick 'em up. :D

catman529

never thought of that, thanks. So I guess you just find a hole and shovel it before shining the light down? Because by the time you shine them they are backing down the hole.

trealtree

I have been catching them since I was 5. All you need is some fishing line and raw bacon. Tie the raw bacon on to the line and drop it in front of the hole, they will latch on and you pull it and either net them or grab them. It takes a little practice but you will ge tthe hang of it.

bowriter

R.I.P.
Do this at night. Shortly after sundown, just about good dusk, slip up to the whole with a cup of ice cubs. Place the cubes around the hole, usually three, just around the edges. Then, slip back about three or four feet from the hole and sit with your light off.

When the crawfish come up to find out why it has gotten so cold, blind him with your flashlight, and grab his tail. he will have it curled to cover his ice hole. Only takes a few seconds for them to come out.

catman529

Had a feeling something was wrong with that ice cube trick! :D Yup I am too young to know that joke I guess... now it's in my book though...

Latest posts