Crawfish bait?

Big Pop

I've used about anything. Fish carcass, hot dogs, out of date meat, something that won't fall apart very easy.

TNCharlie

Cans of dog food or cat food punched full of holes. Chicken bones that still have some meat on them.

Those little hosiery anklets that women wear make good bait bags for meat pieces, etc.

CATCHDAWG

WTM":13uu04pi said:
fish head in a bait cage. if you dont use a bait cage the crawfish will eat it from outside the trap.
This is pretty much the way I do it except I don't use a bait cage. I just use a piece of wire to suspend the bait in the middle of the trap.

Smo

Kinda' the reason I thought. LOL

I knew a Guy in Wayne Co. back int the 80's that waded creeks and fished for perch.

I'm not sure if they were yellow perch or not. He used small crawfish.

I'm thing White Oak creek might be a good spot .

Mike Belt

I used to set a bunch of trot lines and throw lines and I was always seining ditches for crawfish. The little bitty ones do indeed make great bream bait.

WTM

lol i thought you might be going to Lake co to catch some to eat. you using them for fishing, dip them out of a drainage ditch with a small mesh dip net or a crawfish drag like we use(upside down flat dipnet). easy to make with some rebar, 1/4" hardware cloth and a handle.

or you could forgo all that trouble and go buy a $5 bag of shrimp at walmart and cut them up in pieces.

there are no fish in white oak, all the perch and bream are around paris landing and north.

TheLBLman

Biggun4214":227hxqec said:
Just remember it is illegal to move live crawfish from one watershed to another.
I take it that means even if you're using them as bait?

Best place I have to catch crawdads, I suppose would be about equal distance to either Lake Barkley or KY Lake, but since technically the area drains into KY Lake, would be illegal to use these crawdads on Barkley? :cry:
Never mind both lakes are connected by a canal.

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Biggun4214":259vmlj5 said:
Just remember it is illegal to move live crawfish from one watershed to another.
Well that kinda defeats the purpose lol
Thanks for the info.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

CATCHDAWG

RUGER":2w5q9vsp said:
Biggun4214":2w5q9vsp said:
Well that kinda defeats the purpose lol
Thanks for the info.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk
Surely there's a creek that drains into wherever your fishing? We'll set a trap first thing, go fish a while then go back to the trap. Once you learn where to catch the bait, it usually doesn't take very long to have a handful of crawdads.

CATCHDAWG

landman":1g705xwh said:
I've seen where you can buy them online and have live ones shipped to your door
They have to be native to the watershed he's fishing. A watershed is a big place, the trap location can be ten miles away as long as the water eventually ends up where your fishing.

Mike Belt

Almost any ditch or drainage will hold crawfish. It can be running through a pasture, along side of a field, or even something along side of the road that holds old rain water. Get you a small seine and it doesn't take but a few minutes to drag it through one. Much faster than a trap and you'll catch all you need and then some.

WTM

Biggun4214":l5l9310s said:

can you reference a proclamation on the above statement because according to the fishing guide it
states fish, salamanders, or crawfish can not be released LIVE into waters in which they werent harvested. this applies to all bait but if you imlale on a hook its pretty much dead.

there are only 3 streams listed for the above you referenced, french, holston and clinch.

Latest posts