Crappie tournament question

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Been seeing all these 3+ and even 4#+ crappie being caught in Mississippi.
Just curious, as I will never catch one like that, are these still good to eat?
Are they released after these tournaments, like bass, or are they kept?

bluball

Most of the big crappie tournaments have release boats and have a place to turn in your fish after you weigh them.They make exceptions sometimes and let you keep the big one if you are gonna mount it.

JBell

When we go with a guide, they encourage us to release anything over 2.5 that we ain't mounting. I caught a 2.95 a few weeks ago and released her. We threw back 6-8 over 2.5. Just get to catch more. Still came home with a limit of fillets. Just kept mainly 12-14" fish

Headhunter

If they are caught on a windy day, they taste better. After lifting a 50lb anchor all day you done worked up a hunger.
The 50 lb anchor is priceless when needed. So glad, well so long my ghost doesn't hiccup or die, I don't need it anymore. I will hang on to it just in case though. I would be SOL right now, surgery on my right elbow on February 8 and I could not even begin to use that anchor.

Headhunter

Been seeing all these 3+ and even 4#+ crappie being caught in Mississippi.
Just curious, as I will never catch one like that, are these still good to eat?
Are they released after these tournaments, like bass, or are they kept?
My cousin went to one of those lake a few years ago, he said those giant crappie ate as good as any other crappie.

WTM

to me crappie is food, i like 10 1/2-11 inchers. i dont keep any close to 10", my luck theyd shrink in the box and id get checked.

i dont enjoy catching crappie really, prolly be more fun reeling in a beach towel. back in mid to late 90's i had a couple of co-workers ask me to fish crappie tournaments with them. i told them that was about the stupidest thing ive ever heard of.

Hduke86

If they are caught on a windy day, they taste better. After lifting a 50lb anchor all day you done worked up a hunger.
564CF4F0-1331-41B6-8A28-89CF577B41C2.pngI prefer the no-roll kind and I even let a cargo ship use it one time when he lost his anchor.

Headhunter

View attachment 132740I prefer the no-roll kind and I even let a cargo ship use it one time when he lost his anchor.
Y'all can poke fun all you want, ( the dumbbell doesn't work well, tried it and it is hard to store without being a pain, but there have been many days, more than I can count, that anchor made the difference between sitting on a spot and catching fish on most every cast, bass, crappie, and hybrids and trying to stay on a trolling motor and never being able to hit the same spot or being out of reach by the time you landed a fish or worse, wind blowing the boat into the bank, into the shallow area the fish were holding, etc.

TNReb

I had two days set aside next week to go to Sardis. Unfortunately the wind is going to be howling both days. Oh well ..

Headhunter

@Headhunter I tell you what doesn't work well is two cinderblocks tied together. Lol after a day of fishing and pulling anchor about 10 times my hands like like they had been sanded with 80 grit sandpaper lol
I used a "giant" rope with mine, life 5/8" or 3/4" diameter, I can't remember, but it was as large diameter rope I could get and still fit 40' or so of rope in it. I rarely anchored deeper than 23' or so though. But I used most every single time I went to the lake.