Costa sunglasses lenses

WG3

I was wanting to know what the pros and cons are to both the plastic and glass lenses. Also what color if best for general use? Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

infoman jr.

I have both plastic and glass lenses. I very much prefer the glass. The plastic ones do annoying things like not let you see the numbers on a gas pump screen. My glass lenses have a green tint.

TennSportsman

Depends what you will be doing when wearing them. If fishing, get the 580 glass. If your working outside or riding a motorcycle, get the plastic. The glass ones are better in my opinion. I've had some green glass 580s for 5 years. No scratches or anything. I've sent them back once only because the temples needed to be repaired not the lenses. I would say for general use, you would want a darker shade of lenses.

Boone 58

WG3":2cqffjqu said:
I was wanting to know what the pros and cons are to both the plastic and glass lenses. Also what color if best for general use? Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have tried the glass, cant stand the weight!!!! Plastic lenses now are better and tougher than ever..........Plastic, and don't look back! :super:

Coldfusion

I used to sell sunglasses so I'll try to explain. The plastic is usually actually polycarbonate in the higher end brands. Polycarbonate advantage is light weight and impact resistance. Cons are it will scratch easier than glass. It is moderately scratch resistant, more so than plastic lenses in cheaper brands. Glass is heavier but is generally considered more optically correct and usually the black lenses are a percentage or two darker than Polycarbonate. Glass is much more scratch resistant but will shatter with hard impacts or dropped on hard surfaces. As far as an above comment of not reading digital displays that has nothing to do with lense material. That is the polarization. Polarized lenses will inhibit some digital screen no matter the lense material. And last I knew all Costas were Polarized, that may have changed I'm not sure. Anyway to be honest I own and have owned many many pair of sunglasses from a bunch of top brands including costa and DO NOT like my Costas. I'm a much bigger fan of Oakley and Maui Jim.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Coldfusion

Meant to also address color sorry. Believe it or not most of the color claims are marketing. Big shocker huh lol. I've talked to reps and they claims that blue and green mirror tint help on the water, I have not noticed any difference in the mirrors. Now the brown vs black (including bronzes and greys in their perspective spectrums) really are a preference. Outside black and grey lenses overall dull stuff more so than the brown lenses will. People with sensitive eyes like the black and grey colors best usually. The brown lenses will still block 100% uv rays and polarized still block the glare but colors are more vivid with these lenses. Even though usually they allow the same light transmission if comparable lenses. For example Oakley bronze iridium polarized and black iridium polarized both have a 9% transmission rate although things will appear alot more vivid with the brown lenses. I have both and like both but find myself wearing black more often. On a side note many companies like Maui Jim, revo, and a new line from Ray Ban all have a color enhancing technology that allows for more vivid colors even in black spectrum lenses. Hope this helped.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Latest posts