Corks

4onaside

Is there anybody out there, other than me and my 35 year old son who learned the term from me, old enough to call your float/bobber a cork?
When I first started fishing as a lad and my dad furnished the tackle, we called them corks because thats what they were, round pieces of cork with a hole thru the center and what amounted to a match stick to hold it at the proper depth. My life long fishing buddy does also,but I wonder if the term has disappeared except within my small group?

gil1

We fly tossers call them strike indicators! :D

Yes, I call it a cork and always have. A bobber made out of plastic is still called a cork. Sort of like when someone asks you if you want a coke, and you answer, "yes please, I'll take a Mountain Dew." They are all Cokes. Well, maybe not, but you bet they ain't "sodas." I love that my grandmother called Coke a "Co-Cola."

Here's another that some folks don't like. I call my rod and reel my "pole." Even if it has a reel on it, the combo is called a "fishin' pole." Some folks don't like it. It sort of reminds me of folks that get ticked when you call an ATV a 4-wheeler.

Have I strayed off topic enough? :D

RUGER

2-Step Enabled
Just so you will not feel sad, I used a cork this weekend while bream fishing with stretch.
I would show you pics but my camera is dead and I won't be able to download pics till tomorrow.
It is about the size of a dime and it had a little red "matchstick" through the hole. :D

4onaside

RUGER said:
Just so you will not feel sad, I used a cork this weekend while bream fishing with stretch.
I would show you pics but my camera is dead and I won't be able to download pics till tomorrow.
It is about the size of a dime and it had a little red "matchstick" through the hole. :D
My "corks" are now little 3/4" red and white clip ons and only of a particular brand. I've only been able to find them in a bait shop on the east end of Shelbyville(very convenient for a guy who lives in Jackson). On the rare times that I pass by there going to the Duck river, I have to go in and add to my supply. LOL

jakeway

gil1 said:
...Here's another that some folks don't like. I call my rod and reel my "pole." Even if it has a reel on it, the combo is called a "fishin' pole." Some folks don't like it. It sort of reminds me of folks that get ticked when you call an ATV a 4-wheeler.

We don't say "Pole", we say "Rod"
We don't say "Rubber pants", we say "Waders"
We don't say "Them purdy fish" we say "Rainbow Trout"
We don't say "Them mean lookin bastids" we say "Brown Trout"
We don't say "Pshaw" we say "Pshit"

-From "A Fly Fisherman's Lexicon" in "How To Fish Good" by Stanley Milford Poltroon.

4onaside

AAHCmember said:
I take the "cork" out of a bottle of Red Muscadine wine and fish using a "Bobber"
I ain't got time to mess with a cork in a bottle. Screw tops are the way to go. And I've seen people use bottle corks as fishing corks.

8up

gil1 said:
Sort of like when someone asks you if you want a coke, and you answer, "yes please, I'll take a Mountain Dew." They are all Cokes.

Coke is a brand name for a type of soda pop. The first time someone told me to get the a coke and then complained they wanted a mountain dew I laughed and said well you should have asked for a mountain dew ya idgit. I never call them a soda either. We knew them as a pop and when asking for one you told them which kind you wanted :)

gil1

"Soda?" :confused:
"Pop?" :sick:
Now that's fine if you live in a place where thermal undies are an option in July, but I'm surprised they didn't box you in the nose for that foolishness in Stewart County, the heart of Dixie.
:D

You need to stick a cork in that. Or a bobber or a float or whatever you say up there in Sasketchewan. :grin:

Latest posts