Coots & Grebes = Scouting Tool?

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
When you scout on days you aren't seeing ducks, but see plenty of grebes and coots, have you ever found those spots to be good later on when there is a push of ducks?

Just wondering what if any non-duck waterfowl other than geese and maybe mergansers indicate the pathways where ducks like to land, drift, and fly.

rukiddin

Before I moved to TN, we hunted a lot in eastern NC. We always throwed out 3 or 4 dozen coot decoys. In a tight wad right beside the duck decoys. For some reason around there. If you saw a raft of coots, there was always wigeon and redheads mixed in with them.
my theory (just speculation) was that the wigeon and red heads were "robbing" the coots. Ie...when those coots come up with grass or whatever, the wigeon (aka..."robber duck") would steal whatever food they had in their beaks.

younggun308

2-Step Enabled
That's fascinating. I've read about redheads poaching canvasback nests before. Your theory would suggest they truly are kleptomaniacs.

I'm dying too see something other than woodies, Canadians, and sandhills (and I enjoy all of them!). Hopefully they come down by January.