Coon Hunting Questions.

Trevor2

I posted on here the other day about getting a dog and have decided, after several of my buddies who coon hunt have hounded the p*ss out of me lol, to train this dog to tree coons. My question for those of yall who coon hunt, is what do I need to know, to train this dog to the best of his and my abilities. What do I need? What is a good decent priced light, tracking collar, etc... I am also looking for a cheap dog box, not really looking for the nice expensive diamond plate boxes with accesory tray right now. Any info appreciated.

PickettSFHunter

Just like anything you'll get alot of different opinions and viewpoints on whats best. I have a Bright Eyes Light, around $300. For tracking collars, most guys now want the Garmin GPS trackers, they are very pricey. Maybe you could watch LSN for a better deal on a used one, or really a good deal on anything coon hunting related, Ive seen alot of coon hunting stuff there lately. If you wanted a cheaper dogbox maybe watch for used one or even build your own. I have a Mullins Custom from up in KY, dont even know what it cost as it was a gift. Shock collar could come in handy. This is all opinion and some will agree and disagree but I like to introduce a dog first to a caged coon. Just dont do it alot, just to get the dog interested. Ill drag a dead coon around too and hang it up and let the dog trail and tree it.Ill get them treeing on squirrels when they are young too just as practice, but definitely dont overdo that or you will have to get it out of them later because you definitely dont want that later on. I expect them to be able to do that by 4 months anyway. Theres some other things that are good to do as well with a young dog but the TWRA doesnt agree, like trap coons, feeders, etc. It would be good to have a good hound to go along with, but it better be a good one. You sure dont want your dog learning from a trash running, slick treeing fool with some bad habits.

Trevor2

Thanks for the info. I'm looking for just a good starter light and tracking collar, nothing fancy for now but just didn't wanna get some junk. What are some ones to stay away from

Latest posts