Contender deer getter

Almartin

Didn't think MGM would get my barrel finished before season. They got it with time to spare. Top barrel is 7-30 Waters and the one on the frame is a 357 Maximum. Been wanting one since one of my buddies started shooting it. Brass was impossible to find till Starline started shipping it last week.
9d25bc7cb1360497bd1346bac80fd9d7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hunter 257W

The 357 Maximum is one cartridge that died commercially without really getting a chance. I know it has the problems in revolvers with frame cracking and erosion in front of the cylinder but it should be great for carbines such as the Winchester 92 or Marlin 1894. A friend of mine tried to talk me into sharing rental of a chamber reamer and converting a couple of NEF Handi-Rifles from 357 Magnum to the Maximum. I should have taken him up on that.

DaveB

Very nice looking.

Don't see as many of these Contenders out and about as you used to. I shot one back in California and I was surprised, the recoil is there but not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Didn't there use to be a hunting season just for pistols?

Hunter 257W

DaveB":3fl3cnaq said:
Very nice looking.

Don't see as many of these Contenders out and about as you used to. I shot one back in California and I was surprised, the recoil is there but not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

Didn't there use to be a hunting season just for pistols?

I don't recall a pistol specific season in TN, Dave but my memory isn't always infallible either. Contenders are impressive guns for sure. I've shot a few and was surprised at how well I could shoot them compared to a revolver of approximately the same weight and size. I don't recall ever seeing many actually being hunted with. The versatility of changing chambering with a simple barrel swap is what always interested me with the Contender. It's a tinkerer's dream gun. I'd like to have a carbine with barrels for all the older rimed 22 centerfires someday for a "walking" varmint rifle. 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, 219 Donaldson Wasp

Almartin

They are fun to hunt with. I've only taken 2 deer with mine. One of my buddies has stacked them up with his. Here is a nice 8 I took a few years ago with the 7-30 Waters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_1473.JPG
    IMG_1473.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,463

pcrc

I set up and sighted in a scoped 44 mag barrel and bought a special holster for mine to hunt with last year but just couldn't ever bring myself to actually try it out in the stand. Perhaps this will be the year.

DaveB

I am trying to remember the cartridge I fired. Is there a .30 cal round just for these Contenders? The owner was wearing shooting gloves and I thought what a wimp until I pulled the trigger.