compost

catman529

Don't get the cheap stuff at lowes or walmart. Mine last year had tons of wood chips in it, it seemed like sandy mulch with compost mixed in, and the plants were very slow to grow and produced insipid tasting tomatoes. Thank goodness I had plenty more growing out at the community garden in native soil.

blueridge

catman529 said:
Don't get the cheap stuff at lowes or walmart. Mine last year had tons of wood chips in it, it seemed like sandy mulch with compost mixed in, and the plants were very slow to grow and produced insipid tasting tomatoes. Thank goodness I had plenty more growing out at the community garden in native soil.
Thanks but I've been there and done that.Thats why I was asking one of the bags I thought I got a great deal on was an ant nest.This is a classic case of you get what you pay for.

rem270

my neighbor gets compost made from leaves and dead grass. he started making his own last year and it was pretty neat seeing it go from leaves to dirt.

catman529

rem270 said:
my neighbor gets compost made from leaves and dead grass. he started making his own last year and it was pretty neat seeing it go from leaves to dirt.

I got a good pile of that in the backyard myself up against an oak tree, maybe I should actually use it this year. Whenever I mow the lawn during the summer I put the clippings in one spot, and then leaves and other stuff can get mixed in.

WestTn Huntin man

2-Step Enabled
If you are making your own make sure it gets hot enough to kill the weed seeds in the grass clippings.
The best cheap source I have found is the local stock yard. I go to the stockyard in Paris by the fairgrounds. They actually have 2 types depending on your needs. I get the stuff that they have been turning that is pretty much done and ready to use.Around $5 bucks a scoop the last time I went down there.$40 filled up my truck and a trailer.

eightpointer

I got my own compost pile but when I need to add good stuff to the soil you can't beat mushroom compost. Mix in some big bales of spagnum peat and it makes beautiful soil.

OldFart

I also buy some mushroom compost, but also make my own. Use lawnmower to grind up leafs, mix with grass and kitchen waste, no meat products. Turn often, requires oxygen
. A handful of any kind of manure mixed in or tossed on top serves as a catlyst. Also keep watered but do not keep soaked
A lot of heat will be generated in the composting, with temps well below freezing, your hand should feel warm if you stick it in middle of pile
Works well, you can't burn plants with this mixture. Ray

Chapman

The local nursery sells bagged Cotton Bur Compost. The owner says it does a good job.The price was reasonable and I bought a sack. It seems like pretty good stuff.

Latest posts