Colorado Elk Success

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Many of y'all may remember that my dad and I have been saving and planning for a few years for a Colorado elk hunt with an outfitter that I withheld the name of until we had actually used them. I am pleased to say that Welder Outfitters did a remarkable job of getting both of us on elk, but my dad made a less than perfect shot and his bull got away. This horse-centered service is based about 30 miles east of Meeker, CO, and the ranch actually borders the Wilderness Area of the White River National Forest. The horses let you go past the walk-in crowds, and we both saw plenty of elk. I never would have seen this bull without horses, as we had to ride for several miles behind private property before cutting up the mountain, as there is little public road access to this particular block of land and most rests behind private property (this parcel was not accessed from the ranch, but a different trailhead). I almost shot a bull twice the size of the one that I got, but I never could get a comfortable shot through the aspens and had to let him walk. This unit is known more for quantity (very large population) and less for antler quality, but I'm not a trophy hunter and am pleased with the one that I was able to take. 30-06 and 165 TTSX handloads, killed at 1:00 in the afternoon of opening day. I will also say that ALTITUDE IS NO JOKE!!!!

Still tired from traveling, so sorry for the lack of grammar and punctuation checks.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Where he ended after his death charge. I smelled him before I saw him. Thankfully the snow helped us to slide him out so that we could quarter him.

Meadow where I shot him. It is between two patches of dark timber, and is MUCH steeper than it looks, and the snow was piled high in many areas of this meadow. First shot was a standing shot from 75 yards that hit perfectly, but he didn't know that he was dead yet and I proceeded to put two more in him as he ran uphill.

Truly remarkable country and experience.

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
Snow storm came in 2 days before the hunt, dropping about a foot in our hunting elevations. It then warmed up and refroze a good layer on top, making sneaking very difficult. It was about 6-8 inches deep on opening morning where I was hunting. More fell throughout the hunt

AT Hiker

Spectacular! What an awesome experience to have with your Dad and to experience a CO Elk hunt in the snow off horse back. When most of us close our eyes that's a vision we conjure up.
Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smokyrider

Just my luck, I got a first year guide and he struggled to get us on the elk, finally was able to put cross hairs on a decent size bull with a tall rack Wednesday evening but didn't have enough points to be legal, so I went bust.
I learned a lot and I am confident I will get one in two years when I get drawn again and I know enough now to guide myself.
Too bad your dad didn't get one but I'm sure you'll share some meat.

GOODWIN

Congrats on an awesome hunt and experience!

How'd the Barnes 165s do? They are tough animals for sure.

Seems the 30-06 is a popular elk round for us Tennessee boys. I'm a fan.

huntinkev

Congrats! Sounds like a hunt of a lifetime, to bad your dad didn't connect.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

EastTNHunter

2-Step Enabled
The 165 TTSXs gave perfect performance, with decent blood trail and full pass through. I would have loved to have used my other rifle with 180 NABs, but the scope messed up just before the hunt. I don't think that that load would have killed it any deader, though

Latest posts