CO/WY Elk hunt questions

BAMA BOW MERKER

Me and my father are wanting to take our first elk trip in 2-3 years. Gonna be a DIY gun hunt for a bull. Not a trophy hunt by any means. Any suggestions, areas to stay away from, experiences, pros/cons etc would be appreciated.

BAMA BOW MERKER

Earliest possible opportunity will be next season for us. I've been to Wyoming before but just not for Elk. Seems it takes longer to draw for a bull there. I'm leaning strong to CO just not sure where to begin my research. We are very experienced with camping and are gonna try the base camp/spike camp approach. Quartering the meat will not be an issue. However, meat packing and navigating terrain are my biggest concerns. Pops is in great shape, but at the end of the day he is 58.

AT Hiker

CO deadline for points is over and WY points only starts in June so you can still buy a WY point. You can draw a WY general tag but a outfitter is needed to get into elk country unless you have a insight. One thing you might research is a WY cow tag in a limited entry bull unit. Its a great way to hunt good elk country and learn the area so when you do have enough points you can go back and hunt for a bull.

CO seems to provide more opportunity for "any" elk. So what your looking for CO might fit your bill better. Nothing is slam dunk and expect to not come home with a elk but with great memories. If killing one is extremely important and you will likely never go back then you might consider an outfitter. Nothing wrong with hunting with a guide, some people might lead you to believe that its the easy way out but I disagree, its just another way of hunting them and its gotta be less stressful if killing a elk is priority to a good trip. When I get the money saved up Im going on a wilderness horse back hunt in the Thorofare of WY. No way I could backpack 20+ miles into grizzly infested high country!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts