clover

sure shot

plan on planting some in the spring what do i need to fertilize it with,and what should i use to spray it with to keep out the weeds ? thanks

jmb4wd

Might be time and money ahead to get the clover down now. Over seed it with some cereal rye, or wheat.

Fertilize it with what the soil test suggests, probably something like 5-20-20 or such.

Spraying, you can use clethodim to remove grasses from it later on in late spring or early summer.

Good luck with your project!!

tn droptine

I agree with Justin, a fall planting is favored over a spring planting for clover. The wheat and other fall annuals that you can mix in with it will keep the weeds at bay until the clover has an opportunity to establish.

Southern Sportsman

If you plant it now as others have suggested with an annual like winter wheat for a cover crop, in the spring you can bushhog or spray the wheat and the clover will come up through the thatch. We never have needed so spray ours the first couple years because the thatch keeps the weeds at bay. Use fertilizer that is low nitrogen.

PickettSFHunter

You could frost seed it this Winter. Kill the existing vegetation now. Fertilizer amounts would be determined by a soil test. Something with 0 nitrogen. I like clethodim for grass control and mowing for broadleaf control, though I have used 24DB for broadleaf control.

Football Hunter

smstone22 said:
You could frost seed it this Winter. Kill the existing vegetation now. Fertilizer amounts would be determined by a soil test. Something with 0 nitrogen. I like clethodim for grass control and mowing for broadleaf control, though I have used 24DB for broadleaf control.
Agree with SS,just mowing sure doesnt do a thing for mint,which is my only non grass problem in my plots,Heck,I think mowing makes mint grow better!

Latest posts