Food Plots Clover Question??

rescue2087

Ok so I started a new plot last fall, tilled the ground perfectly, was very prepared, simply fooled around and didn't get the seed out until too late, I planted a Plotspike clover blend from Tractor Supply. The leaves fell, covering most of the area, some of it washed out, I hunted the area maybe three times late early October, saw no deer, pretty much just let it be, and stayed away all the rest of the season. Today with the weather being so nice we got out to clear some land, I had the leaf blower with me decided to blow it off see what I could see, sounds silly I know, but I found very green clover growing nicely in patches, and tons of track throughout. I cleared the entire area off, the ground is very close to how I left it back in the fall, appears to be ready for seed. So what do you guys think, maybe some lime this spring and re seed the patchy areas with Crimson and white clover, maybe add some chicory? The area is in a gradual slope, gets morning sunshine, the soil seems to stay moist. Any advice and comments will be appreciated.

rescue2087

Thanks guys, yes I'm always trying to clear the trees around the plot and make it larger and open, and as far as the seeding in late February, just surprised of how early, so no risk of losing the new growth with the potential cold and bad weather??

Boll Weevil

I've frost seeded before but my greatest challenge was that first year and grass/weeds...can potentially lose the whole stand if you don't fight that first flush of spring green-up. Best of luck to you.

Latest posts