Food Plots Clover and Chickory

BustinDustin

First off I'm New to food plots. I have a small 18acre place in Montgomery county, 3.5 acres is field where the farmer used to have horses and cattle here and there.
My plan is to disc the back side of field and edges around the pond. Close to 3/4 of an acre total.
Is is too late to lightly disc it up for spring and plant in the next couple weeks or will some of these cool fronts kill the seed. Some things I've read say to frost seed and others say wait til after frost?

Hookem

Clover and chickory should do fine with all the rain we get in the spring.

skipperbrown

Make sure you get your soil right. Clover is particular to pH and nutrients. You may need to spray for weeds. Start with a soil test. Whitetail Institute makes a bag of white clover and chicory called Fusion. I have a hunting buddy that swears by it and it's all he plants on his 20 ac of food plots in middle AL. I believe the last plant date in TN is April 30 for the Fusion. Read up on it even if you plant your own blend.

deerhunter10

We plant clover in the fall personally. Spring is OK but we have had way better luck in the fall and plant with a cover crop wheat or something. But if planting in the spring we plant it straight clover. But it's time to plant it.

Latest posts